cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Source BDM for 8 bit products

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Third Party Community File: Open Source BDM project for the S08 | zip
Freescale assumes no responsibility whatsoever with respect to this posted file. Open Source Programming and Debugging tool for the S08. All software and hardware files included (provided under GNU General Public Licensing) to help you build your own BDM tool that is compatible with S08 MCUs.

Questions on the tool to be asked on this thread.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

StrongChen
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Could it be used for RS08KA? I mean, could this board generate the 12V programming voltage? Thanks.
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi,

Not this version. The following one will, yes.

Alban.
0 Kudos

StrongChen
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Is the 'following one' available now? Could you please give me a link? Thanks.
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
No it is not available now.
Watch this board of the Forum as it will probably be posted here.

0 Kudos

PO220
Contributor IV
HI,
Has the new version a chance to be also valid for S12 ?
A free OSBDM for S08 it's good
A free TBDML for S12 it's good also
but un Freescale free BDM for S08 and S12 wiil be formidable and very good for promotion !

www.68hc08.net la communauté Francophone
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi,

Nope, there is no chance I think.
These are two projects made by different people.
I guess two different cheap and working cable are better than one which does everything but doesn't work :-P

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

PO220
Contributor IV
There is a beautifull joint project to make this S08 S12 Freescale free BDM, is not it ! :smileyhappy:

You really think that is better to have two cables ? The hardware is the same...
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi,

I don't really think it's better to have several cables.
But now we have both based covered with a working solution, there is less incentive in creating another project merging both.

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

PO220
Contributor IV
You do not incite with the most extraordinary success of the world
isnogood
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi PetitOurs,

Please don't see any cynicism in my reply :smileytongue:
It's just that I'm sure most of us are busy, busy and even a bit more busy.

Also, as CodeWarrior API has some confidential information involved... Well it does restrict the number of people able to dive deep into it !

Please do volunteer :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Alban on 2006-11-02 08:07 PM

0 Kudos

eckhard
Contributor V
Hello,

then the next thing should be an opens source MON08 with USB interface that can be used with CW.

Eckhard
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi Eckard,

I think the motivation behind the creators of TBDML and OSBDM08 was to be able to get a cheap tool to get the basic functionalities like programming and debugging on devices which only had the costly option to buy a 3rd party tool.
Now, as these two tools exist and work, may be 3rd parties will revise their price to make their debugging cable more attractive. May be. [Dream mode off]

On the MON08 side, there isn't the same goal.
I mean MON08 can be done with a couple of wires and a level translator (12V-5V). So there is nothing really mysterious.

Doing this cable would be interesting only for the USB/RS232 conversion. An S12UF32 seems more than adequate to handle a 20kbps transmission between the 08 and the host PC.

You need to find someone who's getting excited in creating this USB/RS232 converter...
It already exists and CW already handles MON08 via serial port, it should be simple... hopefully.

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

cjlord
Contributor II
I am looking for a good source for the 6-pin IDE connectors (ribbon cable end, not the header that goes on the PCB).  I have found one hobbyist place that has them for $.65/ea, but am looking for an OEM supplier.

Any pointers???

Please email me if you have a source - c.j.lord@ieee.org

Thanks!!!!!!

Charles J. Lord, PE
Triangle Advanced Design and Automation, PLLC
Cary, NC

0 Kudos