cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmwareupdate failed

dernetteeddie19
Contributor I

Hi,

I tried to update the Firmware of my Demo9S08SV16 Board using the PEMicro Tool. It started updating my board and in the end it messaged an error. Now nothing works anymore. The board doesn`t even register in the windows device manager. Is there any possibility of rescuing my board, perhaps by using the serial connection? I`m very new to all this and I had connection problems to CW10.0 W7x64.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi,

Even if the software upgrade fails the bootloader should be unaffected.

Is the board recognized at all if you place a jumper on J3 and plug it in?  This should force the board into bootloader mode.  Check in the hardware manager for an unrecognized device

Failing the above it would be neccessary to use an external hcs08 bdm to upgrade/restore the firmware on the JM60 used in the BDM interface

bye

0 Kudos

dernetteeddie19
Contributor I

No, also with the jumper placed, the board isn`t reconized. I`ll try to access it via the RS232 connector. Can you give ma a hint how to reprogramm the OSBDM via external HCS08 BDM? Or give me a link where to get the infomation?

Tx

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

I believe you have already tried the P&E updater.  A part of this package is P& E Firmware Recovery Utility. This allows the complete re-programming of the bdm chip (JM60) with new firmware.  It requires a separate P&E BDM to do so.

Alternatively you can use a 3rd party BDM to program the firmware files that are installed as part of the above.

Refer to the following directory for the firmware files:

C:\Program Files\PEMicro\firmware_updater\OsbdmFirmwareRecoveryUtility

bye

0 Kudos

dernetteeddie19
Contributor I

Okay,

now I`ve tried to connect the Board via rs232. Therefore  I chose the Cyclone Pro - serial connection in the debugger`s tab. I have a com port via PCMCIA-Card on my laptop an I´ve configured it to the settings I found in the sci.c: 19200,8,N,1.

Again no connection. In google there is a special hardware called Cyclone pro to be found, but this can`t be the only way to connect a board via rs232 to the CW, can it? Above all, the ComPort1 is found when I choose the CyclonePro - serial connection.

I`ve also tried 9600,8,N,1. No success.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

The serial port connects to the target only - not the BDM chip (JM60).

In any case there is no bootloader in the target or the BDM chip so no way to program it via RS232.

The only ways to reprogram the BDM chip (JM60) is via the USB based bootloader which you have indicated failed or via and external BDM interface such as Multilink, Cyclone-Pro or a open source BDM such as USBDM.

I know some chips from other manfacturers contain bootloaders.  This does not apply to these chips.  Most people do not consider this much of a drawback since an open source BDM can be purchased for about $20 and is much more powerful than the bootloader equivalent.

Codewarrior is really only intended to be used with a BDM though there have been some serial monitor version interface produced in past years. Unfortunately this is not applicable in this case.

bye

0 Kudos

dernetteeddie19
Contributor I

Sorry,

this was a misunderstanding. I´d tried to access the board i.e. the MCU via RS232. Not to reprogram the USBDM but to program and debug the MCU because of the broken BDM connection. But maybe I should open another thread for that...

Greets

0 Kudos