cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does USBDM support MC9S08QB?

masterdesaster
Contributor II

Hi forum,

i want to learn more about NXP MCUs so i thought about creating a small breakout board for the MC9S08QB. The first thing i usually think about when it comes to creating a new board is: how can i program the CPU? In this case, i already created a post and i now know that i need a device called 'USBDM'.
So i would like to ask if the MCU i would like to use is supported by this device: https://community.freescale.com/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fm.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FFreescale-USB... ?

If not: Is there another way how it could still be possible to program it?

Best regards

Tags (2)
4 Replies

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi,

I can't give a general answer - you really need to check the details of the product you are looking at.  The presence of only as single target connector is the best indication.

There are some links to providers of more capable USBDMs at the bottom of this page:

USBDM: USBDM Debugger interface for Freescale RS08,HCS08,HCS12,Coldfire and ARM-Kinetis Devices.

For SWD (kinetis programming) the simplest solution is to but one of the FREEDOM boards and adapt it for programming.

bye

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi,

The board appears to be a simple USBDM_JS16CWJ.

You can get more information about its capabilities here:

USBDM: USBDM RS08/HCS08/HCS12/Coldfire V1,2,3,4/DSC/Kinetis Debugger and Programmer

The device you mention is supported.

Note the version you have linked to does not supported the Kinetis devices.

i.e. its the non SWD version

bye

masterdesaster
Contributor II

Could you please answer my question? This is very much appreciated!

0 Kudos

masterdesaster
Contributor II

Hi,

thanks a lot for your reply, pgo! :smileyhappy:

So i hope i got this right: With the USBDM i linked in my initial post i can't program the Kinetis (ARM) devices from NXP because the USBDM does not support SWD but i can still programm every 8-bit MCU as far as they are supported?

I don't think i will start with Kinetis devices in the near future but if i would like to do so: how do i know if these devices from china support SWD? Or where can i buy one?

Best regards

0 Kudos