NAVQ seems mysterious!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAVQ seems mysterious!

kayboku
Contributor I

Up until now I have developed the software I need on my Raspberry pi, using opencv, gstreamer etc. It seems easy to setup and get going, just install rasbian image onto the sd card, put the card in the pi, and off you go!

So my NAVQ arrived yesterday, and I just feel completely lost. There is a preloaded SD card, I can see the master and demo images on there, When the navq computer boots up with a hdmi screen, it goes to a wayland terminal, upon which i can navigate around the SD card. 

I have read and reread the instructions, gitbook, searched youtube for videos, tried a few different things, im just not sure where its at. It seems like the SD is preloaded, yet nothing seems familiar when the navq boots from sd. 

If i can just install ubuntu or something familiar that i can run python etc in, I will be fine from then on and begin progressing into my drone concepts

(I just posted this in the other hovergames forum, I just realised I should of posted it here, apologies for the double post).

0 Kudos
3 Replies

kayboku
Contributor I

ok little update. I went sudo apt update in the wayland terminal just to see what would happen, and the word ubuntu came up a lot in the updates. 

So now I presume its the version of ubuntu thats running that doesnt have a gui. (I havnt used it before, but i presume its fundamentally the same).

Should hopefully be ok to proceed from here, but if anyone has any tips or advice, I would love to hear it! 

0 Kudos

Landon_Haugh
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes - the HoverGames-Demo image uses the Ubuntu 20.04 filesystem. Most things that are compatible with Ubuntu 20.04 will work, such as ROS and OpenCV, but we can't promise that there won't be any incompatibilities.

0 Kudos

dirksavage88
Contributor I

There's a remote desktop software mentioned in the hackster discussions: https://www.hackster.io/contests/hovergames2/discussion/posts/7461#challengeNav

Desktop managers are what people are suggesting.

My suggestion: learn the command line. As long as it's a modern terminal, it will suffice for 95% of things you will need to do on the NavQ ! I work with headless servers and have gotten used to using only a command line, and i've never really had to work outside of a terminal via a gui.

0 Kudos