cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K144 EVB problem with flashing programs

Jump to solution
raywu
Contributor I

I'm having trouble flashing anything to the EVB currently. When I drag the compiled .mot file to the mass storage device folder the LED next to the OpenSDA MCU blinks 8 times, stop for a second but then just keeps on repeating and never stops. Previously it would stop blinking to signify the program is done downloading.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
constantinrazva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello raywu@wayne.edu,

We don't have a block that is only used for pin muxing, like S32 Design Studio has the Pins tool from Processor Expert or S32 Configuration Tool. When you are using a peripheral's configuration block, you just select the pin(s) you want to use and the routing is automatically done by our toolbox, for those pins. For example, when you put the GPI block and select PTA4, our toolbox generates code that configures PTA4 pin to be used as an input and changes the mux to a general purpose input, so it is no longer used for SWD_DIO.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Kind regards,

Razvan.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mariuslucianand
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello raywu@wayne.edu‌,

I think you will find useful this thread https://community.nxp.com/thread/507223 

Hope this helps,

Marius

0 Kudos
raywu
Contributor I

Thanks

Can you tell me if I understand OpenSDA correctly? When I'm uploading a program to the board via the USB port, the compiled file is copied to the MSD folder of OpenSDA, which then flash the program to the s32k. What lines does OpenSDA uses to program the s32k? Is it the SWD_DIO and CLK lines or UART, or the SPI lies?

0 Kudos
mariuslucianand
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello raywu@wayne.edu‌,

When I'm uploading a program to the board via the USB port, the compiled file is copied to the MSD folder of OpenSDA, which then flash the program to the s32k.

That's right. Once the program has been copied on the OpenSDA drive it will then program the board via SWD (DIO and CLK).

Now, blinking 8th times, this means an error according to the document that I posted in the previous discussion (Simulink Freezes With Build Command ).

If I were in this situation I would probably trying something like this:

1. Make sure that the controller is powered up, all the jumpers are in their right place.

2. Flash the mot or an s32SDK example using S32DS.

3. If 2 is successfully, then try the indication from here HOWTO: Update OpenSDA Firmware on EVB , basically updating the OpenSDA firmware.

Hope this helps,

Marius

0 Kudos
raywu
Contributor I

Ok I think I see the problem now. I assigned PTA4 as input, which is also SWD_DIO.

I tried flashing from S32 design studio but I'm getting a connection error.
pastedImage_2.png

I found someone that did something similar but on a Freedom board. Bricking and Recovering FRDM-KL25Z Boards: Reset, SWD Clock and Low Power | MCU on Eclipse 

I tried the recovery utility he linked, but looks like an external programmer is needed. I was unable to interrupt the S32K over OpenSDA. Do you see any other way to interrupt the S32K?

For future reference should PTA4 and PTC4 on the EVB be avoided? I'm also seeing some tutorial about pin muxing in S32 design studio. Is there a block to set that up in Simulink?

0 Kudos
constantinrazva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello raywu@wayne.edu,

We don't have a block that is only used for pin muxing, like S32 Design Studio has the Pins tool from Processor Expert or S32 Configuration Tool. When you are using a peripheral's configuration block, you just select the pin(s) you want to use and the routing is automatically done by our toolbox, for those pins. For example, when you put the GPI block and select PTA4, our toolbox generates code that configures PTA4 pin to be used as an input and changes the mux to a general purpose input, so it is no longer used for SWD_DIO.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Kind regards,

Razvan.

0 Kudos
raywu
Contributor I

Right, so to clarify, PTA4 and PTC4 on the EVB be avoided if I'm planning on using OpenSDA?

0 Kudos
constantinrazva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello raywu@wayne.edu,

Yes, that would be correct. What do you want to use those pins for? We can help you out re-routing if you want.

Kind regards,

Razvan.

0 Kudos
raywu
Contributor I

I have tried different USB ports, flashing from Simulink, both give the same result. Even a simple program like blinking the RGB LED can't be downloaded to the board

0 Kudos