Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I generate s19 file in MBD,S12ZVM

Jump to solution
longlongli
Contributor II

Hello everybody,

I am using MC Toolbox for S12ZVM. Usually, I use bootloader and RAppID to reflash the program to target board. In this progress, I use the .sx file and it works perfectly.

As far as I can see, MC Toolbox in Simulink will generate both .sx and .elf files with default configuration. Why can't the program run normally if I directly flash the .elf or .sx file to the target board?  I mean that if I flash above file to target through "flash file to target" tool in CW with PEmicro Multilink, the program didn't work.

Snipaste_2018-11-20_22-27-13.png

And, how can I generate s19 file with MCToolbox? So I can directly flash the file to target board without bootloader.

Labels (4)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
longlongli
Contributor II

Hello constantinrazvan.chivu

I tried again...

And I found that both .sx and .elf file generated by mctoolbox can be downloaded to target and work normally. All need to do is reset...

'Once the entire application is downloaded on the target memory boot loader will automatically jump to start location of the application and begin executing it '. That misled me.

So thank you very much, that is my fault and I should have a sufficient test.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
longlongli
Contributor II

Hello constantinrazvan.chivu

I tried again...

And I found that both .sx and .elf file generated by mctoolbox can be downloaded to target and work normally. All need to do is reset...

'Once the entire application is downloaded on the target memory boot loader will automatically jump to start location of the application and begin executing it '. That misled me.

So thank you very much, that is my fault and I should have a sufficient test.

Best regards.

constantinrazva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello longlongli‌,

No problem, things like this happen - all that matters is that you have resolved your issue and can share your application with your colleagues easily.

Best regards,

Razvan.

0 Kudos
constantinrazva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello longlongli‌,

When using our S12ZVM toolbox you can only download via Bootloader to the board - so as long as you have the S12ZVM.rbf loaded onto the board and build the program with "Download enable" checked in the model options, the executable will be downloaded to the board. As for your other question I'm afraid I don't exactly understand what you mean - do you want to import the project generated by the toolbox into CW? If yes, you'll have to make sure the samelinker files, makefiles and startups are used in CW, as in our toolbox - for the application to work.

Kind regards,

Razvan.

0 Kudos
longlongli
Contributor II

Hello Constantin Razvan Chivu,

Thanks for your reply.

The urgent thing is that I need to sent a programing file to my colleagues who don't know about MBD, don't have bootloader and only have a tool to flash s19 files. I tried to used  "Flash File to Target" in CW to flash the .elf file generated by MBD to the target. However, the application didn't work. So I don't know what should I do to help my colleagues to flash my MBD application to his target board. I guess if MBD can generate .s19 files, maybe we can resolve the problem. So what's your suggestion?

0 Kudos
constantinrazva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello longlongli‌,

As I have no experience with .s19 files, all I can do is find out someone that explains how to convert to .s19 format. Please read the explanations here. You should have the executables that are used already installed in your CW. Have a look at the 2nd part of the tutorial, the one that is starting with

Burner

The solution is to use the burner utility which is an integrated tool for the 8/16bit (Freescale S08) tool chain. For S08 projects I can have a *.bbl

As an alternative, you can share the rbf with your colleagues and tell them to use RappidBL also - it's free and all you need as a setup is to flash the .rbf before downloading your application - this should be an easier approach. 

Hope this helps,

Razvan.

0 Kudos
longlongli
Contributor II

Hello constantinrazvan.chivu

Thanks for the fast support.

I will follow your second suggestion and help my colleagues to use RappidBL as a temporary measure.

But I still have some questions. Why con't the .elf file generated by Simulink directly be flashed to target? If no, what's it used to do? Are there different  between the .elf files generated by Simulink  and  generated by CodeWarrior?  In my opinion, the Simulink and CW  used same compiler, the differences are configurations. So can I change the configuration of CW compiler in Simulink to generate normal programming files which can be flashed to target without bootloader?  As far as I knew, the.sx file generated by Simulink is in S-Record format, however, it can be only used by bootloader depending on your first reply.  Could you tell me the reason about that?

Sorry, there are too many questions in my mind.  I think the core issue is that the differences between bootloader and flash tool integrated in CW.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
constantinrazva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello longlongli‌,

I don't have that much experience with CW, but I'd say that flashing the generated .elf should work; I'm not sure why it does not - in the scenario where you flash the elf generated directly by our toolbox, not the scenario where you import the project generated, and then build it with CW. In this case, it will not work as the linker and startup files may be different (MBD toolbox vs CW).

Best regards,

Razvan.

0 Kudos