Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN for Motor Control Toolbox for MPC5643 on the PMSM kit from NXP

Jump to solution
yuchenchen
Contributor II

Hi there,

I've been struggling on this for a while. I'm configuring the CAN communication on the PMSM kit from NXP, in the below link.

PMSM Development Kit with MPC5643L MCU|NXP 

The can_simple example that comes with the toolbox doesn't work on this kit, however, I have tested this module on the blue free evaluation board of MPC5643 from my local contact. It worked. 

I submitted a help ticket on NXP customer support then. They sent me a simple project with just CAN transmission (hand written, not generated with MCToolbox). This compiled .elf works on the PMSM kit, but doesn't work on my blue evaluation board. So I'm pretty sure it's not my hardware broken. And there might be something not written properly or configured properly in the Motor Control Toolbox, so it's not compatible with the PMSM kit.

I'm not a software engineer, and I don't have software support resources in our team to spend months reading the reference manual and learn to use this microcontroller, not this year. That was why we chose to buy this toolbox, and the PMSM kit. They all come from NXP, there shall not be any compatibility issue and if any, I shall be able to get help from NXP. 

So anybody knows about this issue, please help me!

Thank you!

Yuchen

0 Kudos
1 Solution
john_floros
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please continue following this on the following thread:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/439053

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
john_floros
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please continue following this on the following thread:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/439053

0 Kudos
john_floros
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yuchen,

Have you connected pins with a jumper on the J2 header?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
yuchenchen
Contributor II

I tried closing pin 2 and 4 with a jumper. There is no change on the result. I'm sending the messages 0xDF80, 0x5A00, 0x60C0 to DSPI1 CS0.

0 Kudos
yuchenchen
Contributor II

On pin 2 and 4?

0 Kudos
yuchenchen
Contributor II

An update is that, I found that compared to the simple CAN example from NXP support team, the

SIU.PCR[16].R = 0x0627;
SIU.PCR[17].R = 0x0103;
SIU.PSMI[33].R = 0x01;

are set the same values for CAN 0 and 1, so I change the CAN 0 to the above values to match what the support team sent me.

Then I got output from the CAN0_TXD pin, pretty much the same as it shows with the project from the support team. However, I'm transmitting 204, which is 11001100 in bin, and they are toggling 0x01. So it doesn't make sense for them to be the same.

So I'm suspecting even the program from the support team does not work. Then instead of probing on the CAN0_TXD, I probed on the CANH and CANL on J102, no output at all on the scope. 

So to summarize, I don't have anything that works on my PMSM kit now for this CAN thing now.

0 Kudos