cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug if C: is not first disk.

Jump to solution
jfrey
Contributor IV

If C: is not your first disk the license manager will fail. Since floppies have long since disappeared I added a new hard drive and put it at B:. (D: is DVD, E:+ are shared drives).

You need to generate a license based on the first(?) alphabetical disk.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jfrey
Contributor IV

Anyhow, please be aware that the flexlm is configured to read the host id for the partition where the toolbox is installed.

It's not.

lmhostid and mbd_pnt_hostid are both returning the serial number for the B: drive despite the toolbox and all NXP tools being installed on C:

I called lmhostid from both the B: drive and the C: drive and received the B: drive's volume serial number.

I pulled my DVD drive and added another hard drive I had laying around to D:

When the drive is D: it returns the VSN of B:, I moved the D: drive to the A: drive. lmhostid then started returning the VSN of the A: drive.

lmhostid is returning the drive letter of the first alphabetic drive. Not the drive where it is installed or the drive where it is called from.

The reason my C: drive 'only' had 7 characters was because it's a hexadecimal representation of the actual serial number. Your licensing tool strips all preceding zeros. My best guess would be this happens when the hex is converted into an integer.

Those patches have all already been applied. (Which is how I was able to use it in the first place). This issue only arose when I added a second hard drive and through happenstance decided to name it B:

I just tried with a removable disk and this does not occur. So lmhostid only grabs the VSN of the first permanent disk.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jfrey
Contributor IV

License using C: Drive serial number:

License using B: drive serial number. Everything works fine.

Here are the back to back Diagnostic Viewer results.

You can switch between them simply by commenting one or the other out.

mbd_pnt_hostid and lmhostid.exe both report the B: drive.

mbdtbx_MPC574xP is installed on the C: drive.

Windows boots from the C: drive.

B: drive is just a datastore. 

Was there a particular design decision around using the volume serial number over ethernet MAC addresses which is what Mathworks uses for Matlab?

0 Kudos
dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi jfrey‌,

The license error 9 means:

Invalid host.
The hostid of this system does not match the hostid specified in the license file.

As far as I can see one of your licenses contains 7 out of 8 (normal) characters. I think it is related with this issue: https://community.nxp.com/thread/451804#comment-915572 

Anyhow, please be aware that the flexlm is configured to read the host id for the partition where the toolbox is installed.

Was there a particular design decision around using the volume serial number over ethernet MAC addresses which is what Mathworks uses for Matlab?

No particular reason, just a reminiscence of the past.

Please let me know if it works after the patch is getting applied.

Best regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
jfrey
Contributor IV

It's not.

lmhostid and mbd_pnt_hostid are both returning the serial number for the B: drive despite the toolbox and all NXP tools being installed on C:

I called lmhostid from both the B: drive and the C: drive and received the B: drive's volume serial number.

I pulled my DVD drive and added another hard drive I had laying around to D:

When the drive is D: it returns the VSN of B:, I moved the D: drive to the A: drive. lmhostid then started returning the VSN of the A: drive.

lmhostid is returning the drive letter of the first alphabetic drive. Not the drive where it is installed or the drive where it is called from.

The reason my C: drive 'only' had 7 characters was because it's a hexadecimal representation of the actual serial number. Your licensing tool strips all preceding zeros. My best guess would be this happens when the hex is converted into an integer.

Those patches have all already been applied. (Which is how I was able to use it in the first place). This issue only arose when I added a second hard drive and through happenstance decided to name it B:

I just tried with a removable disk and this does not occur. So lmhostid only grabs the VSN of the first permanent disk.

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi jfrey‌,

Now is crystal clear. Thank you!

We will investigate what we can do to address this use-case.

In the mean time - i'll send you a private message that might help.

Thank you!

Daniel

0 Kudos
jfrey
Contributor IV

I don't need any help. I was just reporting a bug and how to fix it.

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi jfrey‌,

I'm not sure I've fully understood the scenario.

There is no place where the drive letter is encoded into the license nor in the lmhostid logic.

The only requirement for the license to work is to get the HDD Host ID of the partition you have the toolbox installed.

Can you help us understand better the error you get: a screenshot, or the error code would help us.

Thank you?

Daniel

0 Kudos