cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to use NDEF and when not to

gauravbanyal
Contributor IV

Hello,

I understand from the demo app on the explorer kit that everything except the NDEF message to be displayed on the screen is sent across the NFC interface (between the NTAG I2C plus and the android phone app) is not NDEF formatted.

My use case is that I want to be able to send some chunks of data or commands back and forth between the tag (with  a host micro-controller) and an NFC phone in pass-through mode.

Question is, when and why should I use NDEF encapsulation of the data to be exchanged?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

michaelneurohr
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

the NDEF message format provides a good way to structure messages to be exchanged between devices. At the end it is about you to decide if the NDEF format helps in your particular application, or if it is easier for you to define your own format.

HTH,

Michael

0 Kudos

gauravbanyal
Contributor IV

Clear. I could choose to use the NFC chip in the pass-through mode as a modem exchanging custom formatted data with the custom application on the reader side. If there is some information that I need all the NFC certified devices to be able to read without having any additional app installed, I must use NDEF.

0 Kudos

michaelneurohr
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Exactly.

0 Kudos