When designing an NFC antenna on a PCB is it ok to have the antenna around the perimeter of the board and have components located in the center? What minimum spacing should be maintained between components and the antenna?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When designing an NFC antenna on a PCB is it ok to have the antenna around the perimeter of the board and have components located in the center? What minimum spacing should be maintained between components and the antenna?

natewelch
Contributor I

I am designing a board that will have NFC capabilities and am wondering if it is ok to just have the antenna go around the outer perimeter of the board and have the components in the center?

2 Replies

adriancano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Having the componentes outside the antenna space is the best option, but if you have size constraints you can have components inside the antenna area. You need to follow these considerations:

• Avoid Magnetic loops in general (other than the antenna itself)
  • Strong magnetic coupling between antenna and anything else
  • Propert GND layer (area rather than single traces)
  • Use orthogonal crossing of antenna traces and others (if required)
  • pastedImage_3.png
  • Distance as big as possible between components and the antenna.
  • pastedImage_4.png

I recommend to check the specific NFC Reader antenna design guide. As example, you can see the PN5180 NFC Reader Antenna Design guide document https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN11740.pdf  

Hope the information hepls,

Regards,
Adrian Cano

felix_cormier9
Contributor II

That's very useful information, thanks Adrian. Can I extend Nate's question and ask what clearance should be respected around the PCB antenna? I can't seem to find that information in the documentation you linked. I'm looking at a Class 1 type antenna.

Thanks,

- Felix -

0 Kudos