cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VHBR support on ISO 14443 / NFC controllers/front-ends

makinako
Contributor III

Hi,

We make use of the P60 and P71-based smart cards which support Very High Bitrate (VHBR) communications, but the market for VHBR readers seems to be almost non-existent! The Fetian VR504-CL being one of the only general commercially available readers that claim to support it.

Is this a dead protocol? If not does NXP have any RFID controllers or front-ends that support VHBR, or partner with a manufacturer of VHBR-capable products?

Thanks,
Kim

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Kim:

sorry we don't have reader that can support VHBR.

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos

makinako
Contributor III

I feel like this answer could use more substance. NXP is one of the largest providers of NFC components in the world. You sell a number of smart card IC's supporting VHBR but provide no reader-side support for it? Can you recommend any other manufacturer?

I'm dealing with a client with around ~300,000 NXP P60's, and I'm trying to push the benefits of moving to the P71D600 soon, taking advantage of larger key/cert sizes, biometric support, photo retrieval, etc. Higher comms speeds is an essential part of making this offering work and to just say you have no solution, roadmap or recommendation doesn't make supporting your card products in the sales pipeline easy to do, considering they are in the premium end of the market.

Perhaps if you don't have anything reader-side that supports VHBR there is a good technical reason? Even this could be helpful to provide context.

Cheers,
Kim

0 Kudos