cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timer issue - PN5180/Kinetis KL27/NXP NFCLIB for KDS

juergenhermann
Contributor II

Hi,

The actual NXP NDCLIB for KDS only supports the K8x MCU, which has enough timers.

I think the Kinetis KL27 has except of the PWM Timer only 3 timers (SYSTIC for FreeRTOS, the lowPower timer and one periodic timer)

I want to use FreeRTOS  in normal and deepsleep mode (two of the three timers are used, Systic and lowPower timer)

For Mifare Classic and Desfire card applications I don't need any additional timers, is that right?

For NFC (I want to use Read/Write and P2P) mode. I found to additional timers used in LLCP, am I right?

Is it possible to use the Kinetis KL27 MCU, or should a MCU with more timers be used?

Are there any news about NFCLIB for KDS with Kinetis KL series support?

I am at the beginning of this project and I don't want to choose the wrong MCU.

best regards

Jürgen

2 Replies

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Juergen,

Sorry for the delay with your question.

The NFC Reader Library only uses the PIT timer channels from Kinetis. In the K82 the PIT has 4 channels, while the KL27 has 2 PIT channels. These 2 channels are enough for the library itself, since each NFC Frontend IC has its own internal timers for RF events monitoring.

The timers for the LLCP layer are handled as FreeRTOS software timers. In the case of not using FreeRTOS such timers would be taken from the MCU platform, so at least 2 hardware timers (e.g. 2 PIT channels) are required.

Finally your specific application will define what other timers are required (e.g. TPM, LPTMR).

About support of Kinetis L in NFC Reader Library, so far I am not aware of such plans, but in case I receive some feedback about this I will let you know.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

juergenhermann
Contributor II

Hello

It’s good to know that the KL27 can be used with the NFC-LIB, without getting in troubles with timer resources.

I will use FreeRTOS for my application.

Basically the product should be able to read/write to

· Mifare Classic Cards

· Mifare Desfire Cards

· NFC Tags (Handy as NFC TAG)

· and a simple Data Exchange between handy andRFID reader for raw data (configuration data.. and similar things)

RFID Reader PN5180 can use P2P Mode or Read/Write Mode. I am not sure yet what best suits.

At the project beginning I want to get sure, that there are no restriction of using PN5180 with the KL27z256 MCU.

Thank for answering, now I am confident that there shouldn’t be any bigger troubles to realize it.

Regards

Jürgen Hermann

Von: Jorge_Gonzalez

Gesendet: Dienstag, 28. Februar 2017 00:32

An: Hermann Jürgen

Betreff: Re: - Re: Timer issue - PN5180/Kinetis KL27/NXP NFCLIB for KDS

NXP Community <https://community.freescale.com/resources/statics/1000/35400-NXP-Community-Email-banner-600x75.jpg>

Re: Timer issue - PN5180/Kinetis KL27/NXP NFCLIB for KDS

reply from Jorge_Gonzalez<https://community.nxp.com/people/Jorge_Gonzalez?et=watches.email.thread> in NFC - View the full discussion<https://community.nxp.com/message/881744?commentID=881744&et=watches.email.thread#comment-881744>