cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SW support for PN7150 / PN7462 and MifareDESFire

andreas3
Contributor I

Hi forum,

could someone give me an update on the SW driver/library support for PN7150 / PN7462 NFC controller together with MifareDESFire tags? In one of the older threads I found a note that there is currently no support for PN7150 and an extended library for PN7462. Is this still the case or is there an update with respect to that issue. We plan to use the PN7150 in an embedded no OS environment. I like to find out what level of SW support we can get to integrate the MifareDESFire EV1/EV2 capabilities into our system.

Every help or reference to existing documentation or SW download is highly appreciated.

Thanks Andreas

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

michaellabitzke
Contributor I

Hi there.

Just jumped into this topic.

We did a hardwaredesign with the PN7150 and Android 9 as OS.

As the Datasheet for the controller outlines support for MIFARE DESFire, I am confused about the above given answers.

Can you verify?

Additional: there ist DESFire EV1-3 on the horizon. Does the controller PN7150 support all the different types? Is this just a difference in the tag? Not in the protocol used from controller and host?

Thanks in advance

Michael

0 Kudos

IvanRuiz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Please accept my apologies but currently there is no support for DESFire in PN7150. It is recommended to work with PN7462 and the extended version of the reader library which is available after registration and with an active NDA in DocStore: https://www.docstore.nxp.com

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos

andreas3
Contributor I

Hi Ivan,

thanks for your prompt response. Actually what we want to achieve is to use NFC tags to verify the usage of genuine products in our system. Therefore we need a certain level of security measures supported by the tags. This is the reason why we investigate in MifareDESFire and NTAG424 DNA tags.

As far as I understood from the documentation the PN7150 supports an extended NCI API at I2C level. You mentioned that there is no support for DESFire in PN7150, does that mean that the controller is not able to detect and read the tags at all, or is the support lacking of the security features that these tags provide? E.g. 3pass authentifiction, AEC encryption, key management.

Would the extended reader library and the PN7462 support the features of these tags as described above, or do I always have to implement the support myself, based on the dedicated commands and procedures found in the datasheets of these tags?

I am new to this technology, so please apologize for being still unknown to the deeper details of these security features.

In case you can recommend a valid combination of controller/frontend + tag + SW support, that is able to smoothly integrate the anti-counterfeiting feature using NFC tags, this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards

Andreas

0 Kudos

DerekB7
Contributor I

@andreas3 Were you able to successfully use the PN7150 for your application?   We are in a similar situation.  We have current hardware using the PN7150 but would like to implement more secure cards and features with the existing hardware.  I am hoping you can help me to at least understand if it's practical.

0 Kudos

IvanRuiz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

In the case of PN7150 you will have to make the implementation on top of the nxp-nci library. Fortunately, for PN7462 there is an extended version of the reader library with a software example for MIFARE DESfire which creates an application with two files.

The extended version of the reader library is available in DocStore after registration and with an active NDA. You can import the Reader Library to MCUXpresso IDE and take this example as a reference for your project.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos