cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFID/NFC tag

simonschmitt
Contributor I

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a RFID/NFC tag chip able to interract with classic RFID readers (ISO14443) and NFC readers (ISO15693) and who can transmit differents datas depending on the technology used by the reader.

I've seen the PN7462 is able to interract with these different norms, but it seem that this chip is designed to be inserted in RFID readers as far as I understand it.

Can this chip be used as a tag or should I take a look at a different NXP family?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Simon Schmitt,

Hope you are doing great,  I said that a vicinity reader is able to communicate with DESFire as long as the firmware inside the reader have the commands to interact with DESFire, this does not mean DESFire support 15693.

I am not sure I am understanding  your last question :

"And when you speak about "discovery loop" of the reader, that mean I can't use an old reader where I can't put my word about it programmation?"

basically the discovery loop is the polling state where the reader search for different technologies 

pastedImage_1.png

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Simon Schmitt,

Hope you are doing great, well in this case we do not have a multi frequency tag,  we have tags that can be embedded in a card for example, so the card has a HF and a LF tag inside and depending on the reader frequency is the IC you trigger, but a solution combining both, we do not have, we have a list of manufacturers that have solutions using our ICs that can help you. RFID Ecosystem | NXP 

about the PN7462, this is a reader, this reader is a full NFC reader which means that supports  the three modes of NFC.

1.- Reader/writer

2.-Card emulation ( ISO 14443)

3.-Peer to peer

also this reader has a contact interface for contact cards.

Have a great day !
BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos

simonschmitt
Contributor I

Hi jonathaniglesias,

I think there is a little misunderstanding here. My fault I haven't been enough precise.

Both protocols will be on the same carrier frequency (HF 13,56MHz). My project is about a card which can be readed by a ISO15693 reader for simple identification and by an NFC reader (like a phone with NFC).

A colleague told me about Desfire tags but didn't know much about detailed functions.

I just would like to know if this tag can choose what to do based only on the protocol used to interact with it.

Thank you,

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Simon, 

Hope you are doing great, well first I want to be clear in some things, when you use a card in HF ( 13.56MHz) this card can communicate with either an NFC reader and a Vicinity ( ISO 15693) reader, since both protocols support  same communication frequency but the issue can come if you want a vicinity reader with an NFC card to be activated at a Vicinity range ( up to 1m). said this, the question is more on the reader side, the card can be activated and communicate with a reader either vicinity or NFC as long as the reader support the command set and provides the minimum energy  to activate that card  either for interaction or just identification. so if in this case a DESFire is a T4T ( type 4 tag) that supports ISO 14443 commands and also ISO 7816-4. if you implement the activation procedure in the discovery loop of your reader  there should not be any issue, like it happens in our PN7462 reader, one of the examples ( Discovery loop)  can detect different type of tags  from ISO 15693, ISO 14443, P2P, card emulation.

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos

simonschmitt
Contributor I

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your answer.

In my application, vicinity range is not a problem. I will only need 2 to 5 cm range.

You say Desfire tags can communicate with both ISO 14443 reader and ISO 15693 reader but in documentation, I can't see any reference to 15693.

Sorry if the answer of this question is self-evident, I'm quite new to the NFC world.

And when you speak about "discovery loop" of the reader, that mean I can't use an old reader where I can't put my word about it programmation?

Thank you again.

0 Kudos