cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN7150 Power consumption

daniel13
Contributor I

Hi,

Our PN7150 design is setup for "configuration 1" where VBAT is connected to a 4.5V rail power supply and our TVDD configuration is: {0x20, 0x02, 0x07, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x0E, 0x03, 0x02, 0x1B, 0x00};

When measuring the current on the 4.5V rails during a read of a card (Mifare Classic & Desfire EV2 tested) we are seeing peak current of ~240mA.

From my understanding, there is a current limit on the VDD(TX) rail of 180mA according to the data sheet.

Is this current of ~240mA expected? (there is no other peripheral on the rail). 

Where is the current measured on the VDD(TX) rail for its limit?

Thanks!

Attached is a screenshot of the current during polling, and with markers around the read (on the 4.5V rail). 

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 15.29.17.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Daniel,

240mA is out of the spec, please redo the antenna tuning, and you may refer to NFC Antenna Design  for more details.

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

daniel13
Contributor I

Hey Kan Li, looks like it did not need re-tuning but the issue was that I was not testing within the final enclosed assembly we originally tuned the antenna in — I had the PCBs open bare on my desk.

I'm assuming because of this, the antenna characteristics changed and became lower in impedance?

Once in the enclosure the max current is 120mA.

Also, from the user manual I saw a TXLDO_CFG to enable overcurrent detection. What does this enable exactly?

Cheers!

0 Kudos

daniel13
Contributor I

Bump for visibility....

I can also explain any part that doesn't make sense.

Cheers,

0 Kudos

daniel13
Contributor I

Hi NXP team, has anyone had a chance to look at this?

0 Kudos