cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN5190 chip corruption during the first start

Aleksei_Abramtsev
Contributor II

1. General issue description

We have an issue with PN5190 B1 NFC front end (chip marking photo is attached). The chip becomes corrupted during the first power ON or during the first RF-field ON. It was first reproduced in the direct transmitter supply power option (see the schematic and datasheet printscreen below), but the problem  occurs the same in LDO transmitter supply mode. “Chip corrupted” means that SPI communication works, but when chip tries to switch RF-field ON it fails and chip doesn’t answer until system power reset.

chip_mark.jpg

Datasheet printscreen.png

  Schematic.png

2. The sequence of events during the problem reproduction

1. Get a new PCB or PCB with new soldered PN5190. Transmitter power connected to power bus directly (see attached schematic and datasheet printscreen).

2. During the first power on PN5190 doesn't answer on IRQ line, so that host MCU (nRF52840) doesn't detect PN5190.

3. After PCB power restart, PN5190 answers on IRQ line and SPI communication with MCU works normally.

4. Then host MCU writes in PN5190 the EEPROM Configuration for direct power option:

* DCDC_PWR_CONFIG (addr 0000h): 0xE4 → 0x00. It disables internal DC-DC and sets the direct power mode (config5 in ds) for RF VUP_TX.

* TX_LDO_CONFIG (addr 0002h): 0xA7 → 0xA4. It disables PN5190 internal LDO.

5. Then, after several seconds, MCU sends commands to switch NFC RF Field ON (the event of card detection for PN5190 wake up is generated by an external capsensor IC). In result PN5190 stucks at the moment of RF Field ON.

6. If connect the corrupted chip to EVB PCB - PNEV5190BP and try to switch NFC RF Field ON, it returns errors:

[2024.02.29 12:31:48]:ERROR:RFProtocolTypeAService:Anti-Collision at Cascade Level 1 Failed: HAL,INTEGRITY_ERROR
[2024.02.29 12:31:49]:ERROR:RFProtocolTypeAService:Anti-Collision at Cascade Level 2 Failed: PAL_ISO14443P3A,PROTOCOL_ERROR
[2024.02.29 12:31:49]:ERROR:RFProtocolTypeAService:Anti-Collision at Cascade Level 3 Failed: HAL,IO_TIMEOUT

7. If make PN5190 secure fw update (from current 2.01 to 2.07) using EVB, than the chip restores, than RF field switches ON successfully and NFC works normally.

3. Additional notes

* I performed a test with a PCB with a new soldered PN5190 chip with LDO transmitter supply option. The behaviour is the same as for direct transmitter supply option - first time chip doesn’t answer, on second time sw stucks at the moment of RF field ON. It means that the problem of PN5190 corruption doesn’t binded to transmitter supply mode.

* If PN5190 RF field was once successfully turned ON, than it will not be a problem with chip corruption.

* If a new NXP-chip first connect to NFC cockpit, write correct EEPROM in Cockpit, switch NFC-field ON and OFF in Cockpit, than chip works normally (corruption doesn’t occur). If after that connect PN5190 back to nRF5280, NFC also works normally. It is a sign of a software reason of the problem.

4. Questions

* What can be a reason of the issue of PN5190 corruption?

* And how can I fix it (preffered - without secure fw update)?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, my name is Fabian, I've been assigned to support your case.
Thank you for your interest in our products
First I have to clarify that it is highly recommended to please update the IC to the latest FW.

Regarding the E2PROM configurations. It is possible that the issue is caused by missing out a configuration. Please clarify if you did disabled DPC as well in DPC_CONFIG.

We also believe that issue is linked to the configurations. It would be very useful to take a look at the NFC Cockpit logs when the E2PROM configuration is being done and, analyzed it for being sure that your configurations from the host are alike.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos

Aleksei_Abramtsev
Contributor II

Hello Fabian,

Thank you for the help.

> it is highly recommended to please update the IC to the latest FW.
Chip fw update using PNEV5190P connected to DUT via testpoints takes too much time (>1min) for manufacture/test process. Maybe you can provide a description of the method of direct fw updating using only DUT host MCU (nRF52840 in our case)?

> Please clarify if you did disabled DPC as well in DPC_CONFIG.
I checked it, DPC disabling (DPC_CONFIG (addr 0076h): 0x77 → 0x70) doesn't influence on the issue.

> It would be very useful to take a look at the NFC Cockpit logs when the E2PROM configuration is being done and, analyzed it for being sure that your configurations from the host are alike.
Thank you for a good advise to dump and compare PN5190 EEPROM configuration for PNEV5190P and our PCB.

Best Regards,
Aleksei

0 Kudos

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello sir,

My apolgies for the time the update takes. Unfortunately, since it is a secure update there isn´t a quicker way as the provided in "DownloadEx1" from SW6592.

If you want to, please share both configurations logs for further review. We would like to take a look aswell.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos

Aleksei_Abramtsev
Contributor II

Hello Fabian,

Thank you for the information.

I will provide configuration logs for our board and 5190 EVB in 1-2 weeks.
Now I can not because I have to do another urgent task.

Best Regards,
Aleksei

0 Kudos