cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTAG213 stick equipment with magnet

Paul_Le
Contributor I

Hello

I use magnet to stick NTAG213 tag on the metal equipment with anti metal layer behind,  if will damage the tag performance communication,or may damage the chip and antenna?

Can I use tag this way?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Paul_Le
Contributor I

Hello Eduardo

Thanks for your reply, I didn't make coupling of the PCD and PICC yet, just use my cell phone do simple test.
I use normal anti metal PVC coin card with copper coil inside. soft magnet layer between metal plate. cell phone NFC can read and write.
I didn't make detal measurement the Gauss magnetic to μT . I think even make the measurment, still can't anlysis the long term effect of chip perfermance in static magnet field.
The thickness of middle layer between magnet and tag can be adjust easier, as I know the distance will have bigger influence for magnet field strength.
so if there have some typical Gaussian force limitation as suggestion for the chip magnet field μT or mT? or need the long term adaptive testing for single product?

Best Regards
Paul

0 Kudos

EduardoZamora
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Unfortunately, we do not have any documentation regarding magnetic fields topics for these devices. Our support scope is limited to IC's for product development and not end solutions.

For final products and solutions, the best option would be to contact one of our partners listed in the RFID Ecosystem webpage. There you can find the contact for tag and reader manufacturers, solutions providers and system integrators. I am pretty sure that they could offer a solution that meets your needs.

Also, this Application Note may result helpful for you: NTAG Antenna Design Guide. Design of 13.56 MHz Smartcard Stickers with Ferrite for Payment and Authentication depicts some information about designing antennas on ferrite material to build Smartcard stickers operating nearly independent of any object material, which they are attached to.

Regards,
Eduardo.

0 Kudos

EduardoZamora
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Paul_Le

Hope you are doing well

Please consider that as these devices are based on electromagnetic fields, a magnet may cause some disturbances and an unexpected behavior.

Is there a way you can provide us with more information on the coupling of the PCD and PICC? Is it possible for you to visualize the signal disturbance from the tag perspective when the tag is approaching to the reader antenna?

By any chance, did you get this tag from any of our partners (RFID Ecosystem)? I would strongly recommend using tag devices from our trusted partners in order for us to discard any design issues.

Regards,
Eduardo.

0 Kudos