cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTAG NT3H2111/ NT3H2211 I²C Communication Problem

d_schoenfisch
Contributor I

Dear all,

I am currently using the NTAG I²C plus in some setup with an LPC810 and an I²C ADC.

At the beginning everything worked relatively well, but now I cannot "address" the NTAG via I²C. I had already had the problem with the changed I²C address and solved it successfully (I found it with address 0x2A and reset it to 0x55).

I actually use two "selfmade" test boards and have somehow either misadjusted or "destroyed" the chip on both. I can no longer communicate with the chips via I²C. NFC communication still works on one board, but not on the other.

I use an external voltage source (3V3) to test and program the microcontroller. However, since I ultimately want to operate the setup only via NFC, I have connected the VOUT and VCC pins. Can this lead to problems if I use both, external power supply and read out the chip via NFC at the same time?

I have already scanned through all the I²C addresses to see if they could be wrong again. Unfortunately I don't get an answer for any address (except 0x00 and 0x48 which is from another device on the bus).

I have read out the chip with a working NFC interface. The config registers (0E8 and 0E9) are set to [0x01, 0x00, 0xF8, 0x48] and [0x08, 0x01, 0x00, --]. Which should be OK according to my interpretation.

I also tried to reset the NTAG (the I2C interface) via a "repeated start condition" without a stop condition in between. But I am not sure if I have interpreted the instructions from the data sheet correctly. A picture of the I²C communication is below.

My questions in brief:

- Did I do the reset of the I²C interface correctly?

- Is there anything else I can try to reset the NTAG?

- Could I have changed something in Config, that is causing the NTAG to stop working?

- Could it be that I have somehow "destroyed" the chips or the I2C interface because I am using an external voltage source and the harvesting function at the same time?

Repeated start on I²C:

david_schoenfis_0-1620634408792.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply

d_schoenfisch
Contributor I

Hello everybody,

I have solved the problem myself. But maybe someone stumbles across the same problem:

It seems that the NTAG had taken the address 0x00. I didn't know that this is possible as it is usually the broadcast address. Since there is another slave on the bus which is responding on 0x00, I didn't notice it at all.
So I solved the problem by adressing the slave via the address 0x00 and setting the first register back to default values . Fortunately, the other slave device on the bus was not affected.

Best regards

0 Kudos