cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHS3100 Flashing using FlashMagic

martinsmarco
Contributor II

Dear Support

I have a LPC-Link2 connected to a NHS3100 on a custom PCB with the VDD, GND, Reset, SWDIO and SWDCLK wiring.

When I try to flash the app_demo_dp_tlogger.hex (SWD over Link2) I get the "failed to autoBaud" message.

Using the LPCXpresso I get the "could not connect to core" message. 

I also recheck the documentation that goes along with the NHS3100 (release_mra2_9_1_nhs3100) and it looks that all my settings/procedures are in place.

Can you please advice?

Thanks

7 Replies

driesmoors
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The ARM core has to be active before a SWD session can succeed. Depending on the current firmware loaded in the NHS3100, the IC may be put in Power-off or Deep Power Down mode, where the SWD lines are not active - giving the errors you mentioned 'failed to autoBaud' or 'could not connect to core', both signifying that the ARM was not running - or in Sleep, Deep Sleep or Active mode, where SWD access may be possible, provided the firmware has not changed the default PIO function.

• Fresh ICs come preloaded with the one-time NFC program downloader, which will switch to power-off after some seconds if no valid communication was established over NFC after waking up.
  • Development kits created last year come preloaded with a version of the tlogger firmware - demo firmware for a temperature logger application - which will switch to Power-off after a few seconds if the host does not try to communicate over the NFC field.

Waking up is only possible after toggling the RESETN pin, or by bringing the antenna in an NFC field. Try loading up the NXP Android APP from the Google Play Store NHS3100 Temperature Logger APP and have your board continually in the NFC field while trying to flash the IC. Also be sure to check section 6.2 Debugging in the Getting Started guide, and SW Debug Considerations from FirmwareDevelopmentDocumentation/index.html if you haven't done so already.

Which host tool (and version) are you using for Flashing? FlashMagic?

Best,

0 Kudos

martinsmarco
Contributor II

Hello

Thanks for you reply.

I'm using FlashMagic 10.02.4514 which asserts a reset before SWD comm (confirmed on the oscilloscope)

I'm using a fresh NHS3100 IC on a custom PCB:

With a RF field present (from a mobile phone running the NXP APP or a external USB NFC reader ACR122) and the device VDDBAT connect to a 3.3V supply I'm able to get the device signature, start the programming cycle but after some time it fails (I noticed that the "progress" of the programming differs on each trail)

If I remove the RF field (keeping the VDDBAT supply) I always get the "failed to auto baud" error.

It looks like the internal VDDBAT switch is damaged... is it possible?

Thanks

Marco Martins

Research Engineer

INTERNATIONAL IBERIAN NANOTECHNOLOGY LABORATORY

Nanoelectronics Engineering Department

NanoICs Research Group

Av. Mestre José Veiga s/n

4715-330 Braga - Portugal

T: + 351 253 140 112 - (2316)

inl.int<http://inl.int/>

Privileged and Confidential: The content of this email, including any attachments, is confidential and is designated solely for the attention and use of the intended recipient(s). If you receive this message in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original and any copies of this email and attachments from your computer system(s).

0 Kudos

driesmoors
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Marco,

For now, I can only offer you these pointers:

• Try using a multimeter to see if there is a diode drop between ground and the SWDIO, SWCLK, RESETN, VDDBAT
  • Check if the IC is placed correctly, and if there are there shorts between neighboring pins
  • Can you also put the RESETN behavior on the scope? Flash Magic will reset the IC prior to connecting via SWD and halting the core. 

If this problems remains, contact the support line at nhs-support@nxp.com. We'll get this resolved.

Best,
Dries.

0 Kudos

martinsmarco
Contributor II

?Hi

Thanks for the advise.

Here is a scope snapshot of the Reset(Ch1) and SWDIO (Ch2). A 100ms reset pulse is forced by Flash magic and 100ms after the communication starts..

I'm able to see the protection diodes on the SWDIO and SWCLK pins .. on the RESET pin I'm not able to see it (neither from GND to RESET neither from reset to VDD).....

The device is placed correctly with no shorts.

I will try to get some others NHS3100.. I just have one for the time being...

Do you know if there is the possibility to get samples from NXP?

Thanks again

Marco Martins

Research Engineer

INTERNATIONAL IBERIAN NANOTECHNOLOGY LABORATORY

Nanoelectronics Engineering Department

NanoICs Research Group

Av. Mestre José Veiga s/n

4715-330 Braga - Portugal

T: + 351 253 140 112 - (2316)

inl.int<http://inl.int/>

Privileged and Confidential: The content of this email, including any attachments, is confidential and is designated solely for the attention and use of the intended recipient(s). If you receive this message in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original and any copies of this email and attachments from your computer system(s).

0 Kudos

driesmoors
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Absence of a diode drop on the RESET pin indicates either a bad placement, or a failure the IC.

You can order ICs in low quantity from Mouser: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NXP-Semiconductors/NHS3100-A1515/ 

If you want, you can send us your layout/schematics files, so we can review it. Use our support email address (see above) for that.

Kind regards,
Dries.

0 Kudos

martinsmarco
Contributor II

Hi

A quick update:

If I place a NFC field near the NHS3100 I'm able to get some communications., but it fails erasing the device..

I tried already with an external supply connected to VDDBAT pin (3.3V) but no improvements.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos

martinsmarco
Contributor II

Dear Support

debugging further the communications between the LPC-Link2 and the NHS3100, I'm attaching a oscilloscope picture with the SWDCLK (channel2) and SWDIO (Channel1). The NHS3100 has a CR1225 attached to its power supply (measured 3V) and its connected to the LPC-Link2 J7

scope_0.png

If I remove the NHS3100 from the circuit I'm getting the following:

scope_1.png

Is there any procedure to "start up" a fresh NHS3100 (paragraph 4.2.1 on NHS31xx_GettingStarted.pdf)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marco

0 Kudos