NFC tab IC antenna size and distance

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC tab IC antenna size and distance

pylin
Contributor I

Please tell me or send me document that has description about the NFC operation distance as a function of antenna turns or antenna size. For example if we want to use NT3H2111W0FHK as tag IC and want to achieve 5cm reading distance. What will be the size and turns of the PCB antenna. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

The antenna design for the tags will not be the only thing to consider when trying to get those values such as the distance,  it will be highly dependent on the reader antenna design.

Still, you can check the NTAG Antenna Design Guide   and find the closest that fit your request and needs.

Regards ,

Estephania

0 Kudos

pylin
Contributor I

Dear Estephania,

If we assume reader antenna has same size (same class) as the tab antenna. What should be the size (class) of the antenna to achieve 5cm distance

AN11276 has no antenna size and distance match information

Fiske Lin

Senior Electronic Engineer

Corporate Engineering

Defond Group

T +852 31237674

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Sorry but I believe there is a misunderstanding of the concept here. As the tag is a passive device, it will not generate the field, the one generating the field and mostly controlling the  distance is the reader, and the antenna design for the readers is different from the tags. The 5cm distance you are requesting should be in the active device (the reader)  that is generating the field, not in the tag.

It will depend on your reader design, so I can't  provide you a tag design for 5cm, sorry for the inconveniences this might cause you.

Regards,

Estephania

0 Kudos

pylin
Contributor I

Dear Estephania,

I think the NFC detection distance is both related to reader antenna size and tag antenna size. For example, if the reader antenna size is fixed, larger tab antenna will result in longer detection distance because larger tab antenna can capture weaker field. Can you recommend a reader antenna size (antenna class) and tag antenna size (antenna class) that can achieve 5cm distance?

Best regards,

Fiske Lin

Fiske Lin

Corporate Engineering

Defond Group

T +852 31237674

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Which reader are you using , the sensitivity and power changes from reader to reader, the antenna design won't be the same for all the readers as well as the purpose

Could you please check the available webinars on antenna design ?

NFC Antenna Design 1: Which Antenna for what purpose? | NXP 

Regards,

Estephania

0 Kudos

pylin
Contributor I

Dear Estephania,

Below is our NFC design solution. Both reader and tab antenna will be made by FPC. Please tell me the antenna size and turns of both NFC reader and NFC tab to achieve 5cm distance.

NFC Reader IC: MFRC523

NFC tab IC: NT3H2111W0FHK

Fiske Lin

Corporate Engineering

Defond Group

T +852 31237674

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this might cause you unfortunately, I can't provide you an exact design for your need as there are physical elements that might affect you.

Please , check as well this other resource to help you in your design.

If you look for a complete design for your need, take a look at the following list of tag and reader manufacturers, solutions providers and system integrator around the world that we recommend

Regards,

Estephania

0 Kudos