cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC in Model Car (1:18) Timing

andreas_zapfl
Contributor I

Hello,

my name is Andreas Zapfl and I´m working on my bachelor thesis at the FH JOANNEUM Graz. 

Our goal is to create a time measurement system for 1:18 model cars. These cars are driving autonomous in a course. (More information Crazy Car » FH JOANNEUM [in German])

The readers would be placed above the ground and the cars are driving through (20-30 cm below).

We are currently figuring out which technology to use. We want a passive tag system (stickers on the cars) with a range of up to 1m. We thought about multiple small antennas side by side to minimize the crosstalk between different sectors of the course.

The PN532 was tested with NTAGs and range is too small for the project.

ICODE seems applicable. Can anyone give us information about similar technologies which can be used for a timing system?

Which ICODE ICs are reasonable? The security is not that big of a problem. The important part is the timing, that every tag has to be recognized. Are there any dev boards?

Thank you so much!
Andreas

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes, ICODE supports operating distance up to 1.5 m depending on antenna geometry, but its sample card isn't provided standalone, as I know, OM27462CDK has a ICODE sample card like below, you may use that for test purpose. Please refer to OM27462 | NFC Development Kit for Access Control|NXP  for details.

For your timing concern, as you didn't specify the timing, so I could not comment, do you just need the ICODE tag response when it receive the INVENTORY command? Please kindly clarify.

Thanks for your patience!

Have a great day,
Kan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

andreas_zapfl
Contributor I

Hello,

we have some icode tags, that’s not the problem. We are looking for the front end solution.

We want to do the reader/front end pcb on our own.

By the timing i mean that we use the system for “transponder timing” or “rfid timing”. I think it would be enough for the chip to response with their uid to identify.

As our research continued, we might change our concept to the UCODE UHF tags. Can you relate to this decision?

Are there any reader chip/front end suggestions or reference boards?

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

Andreas Zapfl

Am 08.10.2018 um 09:20 schrieb Kan_Li <admin@community.nxp.com<mailto:admin@community.nxp.com>>:

NXP Community <https://community.freescale.com/resources/statics/1000/35400-NXP-Community-Email-banner-600x75.jpg>

Re: NFC in Model Car (1:18) Timing

reply from Kan_Li<https://community.nxp.com/people/Kan_Li?et=watches.email.thread> in NFC - View the full discussion<https://community.nxp.com/message/1065397?commentID=1065397&et=watches.email.thread#comment-1065397>

0 Kudos