cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC Tag Emulation product choice assistance

ryan4volts
Contributor I

Hi All,

I am quite new the NFC so forgive me if I may miss some details or lack the understanding about some of the standards.

Regardless, what I need to do is emulate a tag that is readable with an iPhone using NDEF for one way communication. The payloads need to be ~1KB though I may be able to get away with 512B as a last resort. The only issue I have is it must be held is ram, not eeprom as I will be writing to the tag, on average, every 5s.

The alternative to this is to use a transceiver or similar that instead of holding the data, simply requires a "pass through".

I looked into quite a few series of ICs that NXP has to offer and came up with the following notes:

• PN5180 - In App note for devboard shows an example of how to emulate a 1024byte type 4 tag. BGA 0.35mm pitch, ouch.
  • PN512 - Example for RPi-v1 shows 256byte example. Perhaps use a newer IC? This could be painful to set up and test. Do I need the S2C crypto chip to operate? Has a 64Byte fifo buffer, so likely just a pass through style.
  • NTA5332 - Tested well, though only allows for 256 bytes sram mirrored
  • PN7360/PN7362/PN7462 - full micro with nfc embedded - seems a bit overkill and that IC package, ouch!
  • PN5331
  • PN7120
  • PN7150
  • CLRC663 - transciever
  • PN532 - Tested poorly, despite being heavily devloped by the arduino teams, continuous pains trying to emulate a tag. max APDU size is 256, might as well use the NTH2h2 with 256 sram bytes...
  • NHS3100/3152 - small Micro with 128 word sram (mirrored). Is the word size 32bit? Thus 512Bytes mirrored? Possible bbackup solution.
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @ryan4volts ,

For using NFC reader ICs such as PN5180, PN7150, the tag content is stored in the host controller , or play with NTAG 5 boost in passhtrough mode as you mentioned, please refer to https://www.nxp.com.cn/docs/en/application-note/AN12364.pdf for details. but whatever you choose, the tag content is directly stored in the host controller, either reader ICs or tag ICs just act as a bridge, so just make sure there are enough SRAM resource on the host controller for your application. how about i.MX RT or LPC ? Please refer to the following for details.

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-microcontrollers/i-mx-rt-crossover-...

https://www.nxp.com/design/microcontrollers-developer-resources/lpc-microcontroller-utilities:LPC-UT...

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos