Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC NTAG and PN7120 SAM - Secure Communication and Content

Jump to solution
sherry_zahid
Contributor III

Hi,

I am designing with NXP's PN7120 NFC controller chip. I was curious about security and encryption options. I looked through the NXP presentation "Security in NFC Readers" which talks about using SAM (Secure Access Module) module for security. I read through the PN7120 datasheet and it does not mention anything about having an integrated SAM module. My objectives are:-
1)To ensure unauthorized tags do not communicate with my NFC reader/controller

2)To protect my NFC tag's content from being read by an unauthorized NFC reader

The questions then become:

-Does the PN7120 not contain an integrated SAM module?

-What would then be my options to secure communication with tags e.g. NTAG216? 
-Is there a way to make tags unreadable by unauthorized NFC readers/controllers? i.e. can I protect/encrypt my tag's content from being read by other readers?

Thanks!

1 Solution
Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear sherry.zahid,

you are correct, the PN7120 does not have a slot for SAM module if you need a reader with the slot integrated to the EV board please check the OM27462 | NFC Development Kit for Access Control|NXP 

I think it will depend on your final application, we have good options for your security features, from the NTAG family I think the option will be the NT4H1321G0DUF: NTAG 413 DNA|NXP  if you want something from the MIFARE family please check MIFARE Plus|NXP  or the MIFARE® DESFire®|NXP for more complex applications.
-Is there a way to make tags unreadable by unauthorized NFC readers/controllers? i.e. can I protect/encrypt my tag's content from being read by other readers?

Yes depending on the tag you use you can protect it from readers that are not authorized, this information is described in the full datasheets which are secured under NDA, if you already have NDA you should check the full datasheet or submit an internal case to give you further assistance with this secured topics.

BR

Jonathan

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear sherry.zahid,

you are correct, the PN7120 does not have a slot for SAM module if you need a reader with the slot integrated to the EV board please check the OM27462 | NFC Development Kit for Access Control|NXP 

I think it will depend on your final application, we have good options for your security features, from the NTAG family I think the option will be the NT4H1321G0DUF: NTAG 413 DNA|NXP  if you want something from the MIFARE family please check MIFARE Plus|NXP  or the MIFARE® DESFire®|NXP for more complex applications.

Yes depending on the tag you use you can protect it from readers that are not authorized, this information is described in the full datasheets which are secured under NDA, if you already have NDA you should check the full datasheet or submit an internal case to give you further assistance with this secured topics.

BR

Jonathan

sherry_zahid
Contributor III

Thanks Jonathan