Making an NFC door access system

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making an NFC door access system

gale_p_
Contributor I

Hey, I am thinking of making an NFC door access system for my masters dissertation

This system would consist of NFC terminal, android app and a server. 

The NFC terminal would hold an access code. This code would also be held by the "customer" on their phone. When the phone would establish a connection with the terminal the access code would be used to open the lock. 

Additionally, the terminal will be connected  to the internet via WIFI module. This is because I want to be able to change the access code when ever I want. 

I was thinking of using a NFC frontend like PN5180, a SAM between host and frontend and WIFI module which would also act as a host. 

Note: I am new to microcontroller programming and new to NFC so please bare with me if questions are too basic 

Now to the questions 

1. Which components do you recommend for compatibility? (can PN5180 be connected in this  

manner: PN5180 <-> SAM <-> Host?)  

*For my host processor I am thinking of using a wifi module from STM with STM32 ARM Cortex-M3 MCU* 

2. Is peer to peer communication expected in this kind of system? - As you can see I wish to  

use some sort of safe communication / authentication mechanism between reader and  

phone. 

These are two questions to begin with. I have to warn you I will have more when I decide which  

components to use :-) 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Gal E.P.,

1. I think the best option would be the PN7462 there are already examples that do what you want to do this might be helpful for you if you are interested in the 5180 I don't see a problem  but you will have to either create your own  project or port the existing one.

2. from what I understand  the phone will be working in CE this means that there is no p2p needed since the reader will think he is dealing with a card  you should not be worried  the only think is that the phone should be able to have security features maybe a secure element or something that helps the phone to do secure operations.  if you are interested in the example an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) is  needed in order to receive this examples please let me know if you have more questions.

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos