cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase range of PN532

rodrigo1
Contributor I

Hi NXP Community!

I'm currently working on a second iteration of a PN532 based product. The product uses the PN532 to read from both cards and Android Phones (emulating cards).

The NFC detection on the first iteration of the product has been hit and miss with phones, and this is something we're looking to improve in our second model.

In the first model, we used the Taoglass FXR.06.A as our NFC antenna, and we didn't use an amplifier with the PN532.

With that being said I have the following questions:

Does adding an amplifier like the once specified in AN1425 will improve the range? If so, is it that much of a difference that without the amplifier?

Additionally, since we have a lot of spare room in the casing, we're considering changing to a bigger antenna. Assuming that the matching circuit is properly calibrated, does having a bigger antenna "surface" increase the range of NFC detection?

Finally, is there any other suggestion by NXP in order to improve the range of a PN532 reader?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes, adding RF amplifier and increasing the size of antenna can both improve the range. and you may apply both of them.

Have a great day,
Kan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

amighri
Contributor II

Hi @Kan_Li , @rodrigo1 

@Kan_Li Does NXP provides its customers with Amplifier Circuits ?

@rodrigo1  I would like to know if your attempt was successfull ? what range did you achieve ? 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos