cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help designing antenna for UCODE I2C, an unusual project

ormundwilliams
Contributor I

Hi Everyone,

I have a new project and I've decided to use RFID technology.  This is a performance art project described at this site: http://www.creativetime.org/flybynight, my part in this is to put a light on band around the pigeons legs and to turn them on before the show and shut them of after, they will also be used for tracking the birds for health reasons.  I need help designing an antenna that would work well in this environment.  The attached rendering shows the plastic body of the leg band in red the lithium coin cells in gold and the flex circuit in green.  The two round tabs of the flex circuit wrap around the cells to make electrical contact and then the wings curve in to fit inside the band then the top and bottom halves are glued together, the unit will be made of clear plastic so that the LED shines through.

I've read the appnote AN11180 but I don't know enough antenna theory to apply it well, I'm going to try prototyping it this weekend but any help would be greatly appreciated.

__

Ormund

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

rfidtag
Contributor II

Hi,

As your project is based on UCODE I2C , I assume that it is a task for UHF RFID technology.

1) First from all you have specify  the reading distance that you need.

2) How you will be identify tags by UHF RFID  mobile device or by UHF RFID fix  reader ?

If you will be use a mobile device which will be output power ?

3) Which the space is available  for the UHF antenna ?

4) You have to know the permitivity of the enclosure and specify the free space between the antenna and the board etc. The best way is use a simulation software as CST  or WIPL-D or Sonnet. Frankly,  it is not an easy task .

0 Kudos