Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help choosing product

Jump to solution
kef2
Senior Contributor IV

Hello

We want to add NFC connectivity for our product, which is Linux ARM board serving specific tasks. Android/iOS phone should be able at least to read from our Linux ARM board about 50kB of data over NFC. Bidirectional communications would be a bonus. What product (NTAG I2C? Any other?) would suit it the best?

NTAG seems having Android/iOS (host) demo. That's good. It seems having libraries/examples for bare metal Cortex-M devices (target). Is there Linux library/code for target? Interfacing I2C shouldn't be problematic, Linux kernel seems having NCI driver. As a worst case we could try running that bare metal code on auxliary Cortex-M4 of our iMX7D. But it would be easier to communicate NTAG from Linux.

Thanks

Edward

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @kef2 ,

If you prefer to use a reader IC instead, PN7150 might be the right choice, and you may put it in P2P mode to communicate with other NFC devices such as Android/iPhone. Furthermore, there is a Linux NCI lib for this device, please kindly refer to the following links for more details.

https://github.com/NXPNFCLinux/linux_libnfc-nci

https://www.nxp.com/products/rfid-nfc/nfc-hf/nfc-readers/high-performance-nfc-controller-with-integr...

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @kef2 ,

No, there is no Linux library/code for this part, only bare metal project based on MCU, so you have to implement/port by yourself.

Sorry for the inconvenience that might cause.

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
kef2
Senior Contributor IV

Any suggestions regarding best match for application (equip device with NFC reader/tag to enable diagnostics data read out over NFC using Android/iOS phone)?

Is it possible to use NFC USB reader for the same task? Which one could be used? Any examples for +- suitable for my application?

NFC products documentation frankly speaking is disappointing. Features like SW example availability is not listed under device pages but somewhere deep in numerous development kits documentation. Linux libraries are not mentioned at all. There are indeed some git libs not mentioned by NXP available, but  with zero examples... Looks like the only way for me is to go to port those NTAG 5 / I2C libs for better understanding to MCU I'm familiar with, and then to Linux, or perhaps Cortex-M part of i.MX7/8.

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @kef2 ,

If you prefer to use a reader IC instead, PN7150 might be the right choice, and you may put it in P2P mode to communicate with other NFC devices such as Android/iPhone. Furthermore, there is a Linux NCI lib for this device, please kindly refer to the following links for more details.

https://github.com/NXPNFCLinux/linux_libnfc-nci

https://www.nxp.com/products/rfid-nfc/nfc-hf/nfc-readers/high-performance-nfc-controller-with-integr...

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:

0 Kudos
kef2
Senior Contributor IV

Thanks for reply.

Unfortunately still almost no examples/documentation. No idea how to proceed further with both Linux target and Android host. I already tried older PN533 reader, which came in the form of USB dongle, which I assumed will speed up prototyping. Actually TAG emulation is preferred mode, since it offers silent, no RF mode until asked. This is why we are looking for something different than BT/WiFi, which are often banned. Emulation on PN533 wasn't robust, too many errors reading it from Android phone. And much worse was total lack of examples, just library with almost no documentation.

It doesn't really matter for us reader IC in emulation mode or tag IC. Better is one which is faster to get prototype.

Well, looks like NTAG I2C is the only way to go.

Regards

Edward

P.S. forum UI is broken. It's easy to loss what you wrote. Requirement to double all new lines is silly

0 Kudos