Desfire bad read distance (bad antenna?)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desfire bad read distance (bad antenna?)

lodesmets
Contributor I

Hello,

We are producer of access control system. But we are having issues with our latest delivery of fobs. We are already in contact with our supplier, but I'm not 100% everything they are saying is correct. So this is a bit of a sanity check.

We ordered from our supplier combi fobs (desfire EV3 + EM). According to the supplier they have a read distance of 2cm. But we always use desfire with our AID and data written to it.

We noticed in the latest batch a lot of fobs have a terrible read distance (0cm).

Luckily we have a liteVNA and tested a couple of fobs with it (using this method: https://hackaday.com/2021/11/10/nfc-performance-its-all-in-the-antenna/ )

Some old fobs that work great have a signal looking like this: 

EV1 overmolded.png

desfireEV2 + EM old fob.png

The antennas are tuned at 13.8MHz and 13.6MHz, and have a signal of -38 and -20 dBm

(first one is desfire only, second one is desfire + EM).
These look like "normal" values. They work fine.

But when testing fobs from the latest delivery look more like this:

Black desfire fob 04334c0a5d1890.png

Green EV3 + EM fob 0116804B9F.png

The first one is desfire only, second one is desfire + EM. They have a frequency of 14.03MHz and 14.5MHz with a signal of -4.2dBm and -1.6dBm respectively.

According to the supplier these values mean nothing. But I think the lower the signal, the more the tag "collects" the signal.

When I scan the fobs with NXP taginfo they report capacitance of 17pF. But according the supplier that is correct, but they manually add a 100pF capacitor to increase the read distance.

Am I correct to think that these fobs have badly tuned antennas?

And can they just add capacitor to 17pF variant to increase read distance?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

EduardoZamora
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @lodesmets

Hope you are doing well.

Reading distance can also depend directly on the reader device, its antenna and output power. It is true that a bad designed coil can drastically weaken the possible performance of the MIFARE card.

However, it is important to remark that we are focused on selling the ICs, and for further support on the cards, I will recommend you keeping the communication with your card manufacturer. Some notes and hints on coil design can be found in MIFARE DESFire EV3 card coil design guide.

I truly apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Eduardo.

0 Kudos