Peak Current IGBT

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak Current IGBT

asrikrishnagovind
Contributor II

Hello, I need help choosing an IGBT gate driver IC and the application is focused on a 3-phase AC motor inverter setup. Consider it is a 5 pole pair motor and needs to run at 5000rpm. Then what should be my gate driver's Tsw to switch on the IGBTs? 

asrikrishnagovind_1-1644237966787.png

As we know the current supposed to be supplied to the IGBT should be 

Current = Gate charge(Qg) / Tsw

I need to filter some gate driver ICs which should be able to supply the current, but I can proceed with it only if I know the Tsw and I have no idea how to calculate it for the application so that the motor runs at the desired RPM (mentioned above).

It'll be helpful if someone can share any formula or application notes which can guide me to find it.

Thank you in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

asrikrishnagovind
Contributor II

Hey, thanks for the reply, I would like to know more about the GD3100

In the datasheet of the device, it was given that its compatible with IGBTs of 200-1700V range, however, I did not find any information in regards to the following:

1. In a Half-Bridge configuration, the high-side IGBTs' source is connected to the Gate Driver, and in case of a high power application, the source terminal will be at a high voltage (270+ volts). My query is would this gate driver be able to handle the voltage levels of the high side IGBTs' source connection. Thanks 

0 Kudos

diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

It is a pleasure to assist you.

You are correct, the GD3100 is capable of directly driving gates of most IGBTs and SiC MOSFETs.

Do you mean collector to emitter breakdown voltage? In that case, it is compatible with 200 V to 1700 V IGBT/SiC, power range (125 kW).

The GD3100 Half-Bridge Evaluation Kit might be useful for you as a reference for your design.

Please let me know if this information helps.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

diazmarin09
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I hope this response finds you well.

Have you considered using the GD3100 series?

The GD3100 is an advanced single-channel gate driver for IGBTs/SiC. Integrated Galvanic isolation and low on-resistance drive transistors provide high charging and discharging current, low dynamic saturation voltage and rail-to-rail gate voltage control.

You may find further information at the link below:

GD3100: Advanced Single-Channel Gate Driver for Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors and Silicon Carbi...

Besides, you may find a reference design below in case it is useful for you:

ICP2.0 IGBT EV Power Inverter Control Platform

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos