cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC33887 Output avalanche / Back emf voltage protection

bulent_kupeli
Contributor II

Hi all,

In the datasheet of the "MC33887 5.0 A H-bridge with load current feedback" there is a section on "Output avalanche protection" on page 21 of the pdf file which suggests using "a zener clamp and/or an appropriately valued input capacitor with sufficiently low ESR" on the V+ input. 

I have questions about this. Which one is the best protection methods for back emf voltage for this IC ? What do you think about ?

1. Can I use the schottky diode between out1&out2 and ground for back emf voltage ? The voltage and current values of the schottky diode are 100 VDC and 10 A. 
  2. Can I use the bi - directional TVS diode between out1 and out2 ?
  3. Using Zener Diode, in paralel with the input capacitor ?

Thank you,

Bülent

0 Kudos
1 Reply

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Bulent,

please see below an answer from an application engineer I have contacted.

DESRIPTION

The best V+ protection will depend on the load and operating parameters.  The input filter capacitor is valid for protecting against the avalanche condition caused by a total loss of power during normal operation.  In such a case, the capacitor should be large enough to absorb all of the energy in the load without exceeding the breakdown voltage of the MC33883.  If the assumption is made the the load is primarily inductive, then the inductive energy will need to be converted to the rise in voltage between VPWR and VPWR_max.

Since the energy in the inductor is 1/2*L*I^2 and the energy in the capacitor is 1/2*C*V^2, the size of the capacitor can be easily calculated using the formula:

C=L*(I/V)^2 : where I is the load current and V = (Vpwr_max - Vpwr)

Two problems with relying on the filter capacitor only are:

1. If the Vpwr is out of range, or the current is greater than accounted for, the peak voltage on the capacitor could exceed the maximum rating.

2. The size of the calculated capacitor may be prohibitive, either due to physical size or cost.

In this instance, using a zener in parallel with the filter capacitor can be used to dissipate the energy which would have resulted in an over-voltage condition.

The thought of using TVS across the output terminals could work, but in general the tolerances for the TVS voltages are not sufficient to insure the voltage range on the input is not exceeded while keeping the losses due to leakage from causing problems.  Those losses are cycle by cycle, while the zener across the filter capacitor are one time during the fault condition.

The schottky diode arrangement described simply provides a bypass for the lowside body diodes in the MC33883.  They will have minimal impact since the body diodes are already performing this function, just with a little higher voltage drop.

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos