cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom KV11/Motor Control PCB: OpenSDA?

Jump to solution
appioninc
Contributor II

Hello I have developed a custom PCB based off of the FRDM-MC-LVPMSM which also has a MKV11Z64VFM7 on the PCB.  I have already successfully tuned our motor with the FRDM-KV11 and FRDM-MC-LVPSM eval boards.

My question is I want to be able to tune the motor using my custom PCB.  With that being said if I configure the FRDM-KV11 eval board to provide external programming/debugging to my custom PCB I know I can use the OpenSDA debugger/programmer to program the KV11 on my custom PCB but will I also be able to connect to the FreeMaster Tuning GUI using the FRDM-KV11 as the programmer/debugger to my custom PCB?

What I am not clear on if I need to somehow wire UART pins from my custom PCB into the FRDM-KV11 board to establish the Freemaster connection to my custom PCB or if this is somehow done through the OpenSDA interface that is on the FRDM-KV11?  

I can see in the schematic that the following UART0 Pins are connected to the OpenSDA Debugger...

UART0_RX = PTB16

UART0_TX = PTB17

I have these Pins mapped out to a header on my Custom PCB and I see that the UART0_RX is mapped to J1.6 on the FRDM-KV11 Eval Board but I am not really seeing any convenient way to map in my UART0_TX/PTB17 into the FRDM-KV11 Eval Board to connect my Custom PCB UART0_TX line to the Open SDA interface?

Lastly can you please provide details as to what specifically to do to the FRDM-KV11 Eval Board to allow it to program an external board.

Regards,

Frank

1 Solution
philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You do not need a serial port access on your custom board.  You can configure the communication with Freemaster through the debug port  or the CAN port if it is available.  Please see the Freemaster User's Guide section 1.2.1 Going Around UART and SCI.

I just tested this on my bench and did a screen shot of the Options dialogue box.

The following instructions assume a JLink probe. I used a JLink-Lite-FSL to show the concept. 

Open the Project-> Options.  Select the radial button for Plug-in Module.  Choose FreeMASTER Segger/JLink Communication Plug-in

FM_jlink_comm.png

If you select the Configure.. Button you can test the connection.

Then you can connect to the running target just like you did with the UART connection.

I hope this helps. 

Best Regards,

Philip

View solution in original post

4 Replies
philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You do not need a serial port access on your custom board.  You can configure the communication with Freemaster through the debug port  or the CAN port if it is available.  Please see the Freemaster User's Guide section 1.2.1 Going Around UART and SCI.

I just tested this on my bench and did a screen shot of the Options dialogue box.

The following instructions assume a JLink probe. I used a JLink-Lite-FSL to show the concept. 

Open the Project-> Options.  Select the radial button for Plug-in Module.  Choose FreeMASTER Segger/JLink Communication Plug-in

FM_jlink_comm.png

If you select the Configure.. Button you can test the connection.

Then you can connect to the running target just like you did with the UART connection.

I hope this helps. 

Best Regards,

Philip

appioninc
Contributor II

Hello Philip/Kerry,

Thanks for the help and quick responses.  We have access to J-LINK's so that is not a problem.  Based on your responses I have wrapped up my PCB design and will submit off for manufacturing.

Thanks Again!!

Frank

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Frank,

You are welcome.

If you still have the question, just let us know.

If your question is solved, please help to mark the correct answer, just to close this case, thank you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI Frank Roberts ,

You can use the FRDM on board debugger and the virtal  com port, but it is not recommend in the product phase.

If you are design the product, I suggest you use the specific debugger, eg, Segger JLINK. About the COM port, you can use the TTL-USB tool.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.