Can DEVKIT-MOTORGD drive a external high voltage IGBT?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can DEVKIT-MOTORGD drive a external high voltage IGBT?

ekiyoha
Contributor I

Hi, I am searching for a solution to replace the MCU(motor controller unit) the inverter board of Whirlpool washing machine. This washing machine uses a direct drive motor, a PMSM type, sensorless,   3 phase, 7 poles, 1kW .

So far, I found on NXP products guide the MC56F8013/23/25 controller board, linked to a  Three-phase AC/BLDC high-voltage power stage board, and FreeMaster software to support development  program. This kit looks perfect for my project, except it is relatively expensive board, and it is not available for sale anymore.

Thus, I searched for alternative development board and I figured out the low cost DEVKIT-MOTORGD plus the DEVKIT-MPC5744P, a solution for motor control.

The DEVKIT-MOTORGD has a built in IGBT to drive low voltage and low current PMSM, and I wonder to know if I can connect and external IGBT rated for 10 amps and 200 Vdc, to drive the washing machine motor?

There are several connectors (arduino compatible) named J1 and J4, in which there are connections to the PWM drivers PWMA_HS, PWMA_LS, PWMB_HS, PWMB_LS,PWMC_HS, PWMC_LS, as well as input signal for A/D to measure current and voltage feeding the PMSM.

I drawn the circuit to connect an external IGBT to the DEVKIT-MOTORGD, as in attached file, I would like to know from expert advisor, if this project is feasible, if not, could list alternative boards to use in my project?DEVKIT-MOTORGD Pin out to Hight Voltage IGBT.pngDirect Drive rotor.JPGDirect Drive stator.JPG 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I cannot recommend this proposal to you. There are many significant drawbacks with uncertain result.

for example Isolation distances, max current, GD3000 is for 60V, Snubbers, etc...

I can recommend you this design, which fits your requirements:

3-Phase AC Induction Motor Control | NXP 

regards,

Peter

0 Kudos

ekiyoha
Contributor I

Thanks Peter,

I will study the solution based on TWR-KV31F120M, and HVP-MC3PH, but the two boards will cost around $ 750, that is far beyond I have budget to replace the original Whirlpool controlling board. As I have mentioned, the application published by Freescale "Freescale Sensorless PMSM Control for an H-axis Washing Machine DriveDSASW0016868.pdf" is just what I am looking for, but I though the DEVKIT-MOTORGD has replaced the two boards "MC56F8013/23/25 controller board, linked to a  Three-phase AC/BLDC high-voltage power stage board", as the picture below:

Hardware Implementation.pngMC56F8013-23 Controller board.pngThree-phase AC-BLDC high voltage power stage.png

I wonder to know if the above "Three-phase AC/BLDC high voltage power stage" is still available, and if it is cheaper than the HVP-MC3PH ($700).

0 Kudos