cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

82V BLDC driver FRDM board?

paulschoenke
Contributor III

Hello:

We held an NXP Kinetis V Customer workshop this week at our office.  We featured these kits for the labs:

FRDM-KV31F: FRDM-KV31F: http://www.nxp.com/products/software-and-tools/hardware-development-tools/freedom-development-boards...

FRDM-MC-LVMTR: Low-Voltage, 3-Phase Motor Kit for FRDM platform: http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/kinetis-cortex-m-mcus/v-s...

FRDM-MC-LVPMSM: NXP® Freedom Development Platform for Low-Voltage, 3-Phase PMSM Motor Control: http://www.nxp.com/products/software-and-tools/hardware-development-tools/freedom-development-boards...

One of our customers that attended sent me a follow up asking if we had some recommended kits that would fit his next evaluation.  He has an 82V BLDC motor rated for 1kW that he'd like to run and demo using the NXP motor controller.

Do you have a Motor Control Kit that you would recommend that is compatible with his 82V BLDC motor?

Any feedback or input is welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks again!

Paul

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

paulschoenke
Contributor III

Thanks very much Philip!  In the meantime, I received a correction on the motor specs:
The motor is 72V, not 82V
1.2kW, 3 phase Brushless DC
Hall effect sensor included (running at +6V)

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong.  I should suggest that my customer purchase the HVP-MC3PH along with the HVP-KV31F daughter card to drive the motor?

At first glance, 120V seems a bit too high for a 82V max (72V nominal) motor.  Could this potentially cause arcing at the motor and possibly damage the stator?
Is there anyway to control voltage, or look at models with lower voltage thresholds?

Here is some info on the motor's power/torque characteristics:

Motor power torque characteristics.png

Thanks again!

Paul

0 Kudos

pavelsustek
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Paul,

the proposed HVP-MC3PH board will work fine with even lower supply voltage than 72VDC (60VDC can be considered as lowest limit). However, the customer will have an issue to achieve maximum required current (24Amp from diagram above). The original board scale is 8Amps. It migh be increased to e.g. 10-12Amps by few component replacement but I guess it won't be still enough to meet cstm requirements.

Anyway the HVP-MC3PH board might be used for inital testing to a limited output power.

Regards,

Pavel

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Paul,

Yes, NXP does has a development platform to drive his motor directly.  High-Voltage Development Platform,

It comes with a HVP-KV46 daughter card, but also available is the HVP-KV31F daughter card.  The HVP-KV31F daughter card has the Kinetis Motor Suite library pre-programmed into them allowing non-motor control experts the ability to turn and spin motors quickly.

The HVP platform is able to drive up to a 1KW motor from 120-220 V mains. 

HV_controller_block_diagram.png

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Philip

0 Kudos