cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using extra CAN transceivers with S32K148EVB

Poley
Contributor V

Hello,

I am looking at connecting 2 more CAN transceivers to the development board to take advantage of all 3 CAN interfaces on the 148.

I have 1 of these: https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/TCAN4550EVM?qs=vLWxofP3U2zOls9%2Fti0HPg==&g...

and 1 of these: https://uk.farnell.com/digilent/410-353/pmod-can-transceiver-dev-board/dp/2893221?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrsGC...

My question is, do I need to write custom code for these to work? Or is it possible to make these work with the NXP Simulink blockset? Would be very ideal if it did work out of the box.

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Thank you

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Baker85
Contributor I

To reset the CAN transceiver to default mode connect the SBC transceiver in next configuration with the board S32K148EVB-Q144 power off : • pin RSTN from SBC is If I want to use the integrate CAN of SBC UJA1132,I need to use the 12V Power supply? Now I am using USB Additional options. Associated Products

0 Kudos

adriantudor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@Baker85  Hi,

Yes, you have to connect a 12V power source to the development board in order to use the onboard CAN  IC interface.

Best regards,

Adrian

0 Kudos

adriantudor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Poley ,

It looks like the TCAN4550EVM evaluation board uses an IC that converts data from the SPI interface to the CAN interface, due to that you can't use it without a custom code and you can't connect the CAN TTL pins from S32K148 MCU to this dev board, because this board doesn't have a CAN TTL interface.

For the second evaluation board, which uses MCP25625 IC, you also can't use it without custom code because this IC starts in a configuration mode and you must first configure it via SPI interface.

Anyway, if you want to use any (or both) of those two boards with S32K148EVB, please be very careful about the voltage level. If you set an eval board to 3.3v then all eval boards must be set at the same max voltage. If you apply different voltage levels then you can damage something.

Best regards,
Adrian

0 Kudos

Poley
Contributor V

Hi @adriantudor 

Thank you for your response! 

Are there any CAN interfaces that wouldn't require custom code? Just need timestamp functionality and one that can cope with a decent amount of messages.

Also, would the custom code for the TCAN4550 be sending desired data from the S32K through SPI to the TCAN board, which can then auto convert that to CAN to transmit? This is a small part (But an important one as I need 3 CAN interfaces unfortunately) of my project and something I have not done before so a bit lost to be honest!

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it.

0 Kudos

adriantudor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Poley ,

I highly recommend using the DEVKIT-COMM board. I have used it for an example, for S32K144EVB, that uses two CAN interfaces, one for Freemaster and one used to communicate with other S32K evaluation board (the model is "flexcan_and_fm_over_can_s32k14x"). As you can see, this development board can allow you to use 4 CAN and 6 LIN interfaces. Those IC drivers placed on the DEVKIT-COMM are transparent and don't need any additional code to be used. 

And if you really want to use the TCAN4550 board and if you add the proper custom code, then it should work well.

Best regards,

Adrian

0 Kudos

Poley
Contributor V

Hi @adriantudor 

Thank you for your reply! I think I am just going to go the TTL route and make use of the chips onboard CAN controllers. I have a large bus load and I am not confident that a SPI can transceiver will be fast enough to process all messages. Also means I should be able to use the NXP Simulink CAN blocks provided rather than writing my own interface.

Thanks!

0 Kudos