cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to get the RappID BL tool to download application+Bootloader

raghurajappa
Contributor IV

Problem - 

Unable to use RappID BL to download the program to the microcontroller after generating code successfully using Simulink. Screenshot attached below. 

pastedImage_8.png

Hardware - 

I am using XPC56XX EVB motherboard (Rev.B) + SPC56EL 144 pin ADPT board (yes it's a mini module from ST microelectronics) + MPC5643L (144pin). 

The code is to be programmed using CAN. So I am using a CANcaseXL (Vector) and CAN cable (with 120ohm terminator at the target side). This hardware is detected correctly and driver is installed correctly. 

The jumper settings - I have tried ABS0=1, FAB=0, ABS2=0 ; ABS0=1, FAB=1, ABS2=0 ; and a few more combinations (ofcourse the combination that the tool also suggests). Attaching an image and also the user manual taken from the RappID BL tool itself. 

pastedImage_6.jpg

pastedImage_7.png

I would like you to please help me confirm these jumper settings? I also understand that MPC5643L has a fixed baud rate. So from my understanding, the combination should be ABS0=1, FAB=0, ABS2=0. 

I am using CAN (H) port and have enabled this using the jumper settings from the XPC56XX EVB document - Attaching a screenshot of the jumper settings - J27 is 1+3, 2+4. J28 is enabled. This is something I also would like to confirm. I am not sure if I am missing any other important jumper settings on the board but it looks complete to me. 

pastedImage_15.jpg

Software - 

From the Simulink, I am attaching the screenshot of the settings used in the block. Also I am just using the simple CAN example. 

pastedImage_18.png

I don't know what the problem is but I am getting frustrated with it :smileyhappy: I am grateful for any help. :smileyhappy: Thank you so much. 

P.S - Also I m currently using CodeWarrior compiler trial version (shouldn't matter in theory). And the motherboard+controller is NXP and the mini-module is ST micro's :smileyhappy:. 

14 Replies

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi raghurajappa‌,

Let's try to see if the CAN works and if you get's any messages from the MCU.

First, open the can_simple_block model from examples and configure it to download the code via UART (I presume you have a sort of UART2USB converter or something) similar to allow you connect you HOST PC with the BOARD via DB4 connector.

The Simulink model should be configured as: (just change COM port number to reflect your settings)

pastedImage_1.png

(use the model attached as a reference)

Once you download the model to the board into the MCU FLASH memory, then you should see some CAN messages over the network.

This will validate than the CAN setup is correct and the Vector CAN device works fine. Can you confirm the receiving of the CAN messages in this setup?

Thank you!

Daniel

0 Kudos

raghurajappa
Contributor IV

Also, I have checked the vector can case xl through another method (outside of this setup) and it works correctly. 

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I agree with you that your can case xl works in a different setup. The purpose of my proposal was to program the MCU to sent via CAN interface a continuous stream of data. If you receive that data with can case xl on your PC that will prove that HW configuration is correct and the issue is pure software related with RAppID.exe application.

Thank you!

Daniel 

0 Kudos

raghurajappa
Contributor IV

Also adding I have been using FAB=1, ABS and ABS2 =0 (SCI without Autobaud) because from my understanding the MPC5643L (144 pin version) microcontroller does not support AutoBaud feature. (just reminding)I am also using the daughter board + mother board combination. 

Another important observation is the pins FAB, ABS and ABS2 are pulled up to approximately 3.9V. I am not sure why this is so or if this is the correct voltage to be pulled up to. 3.3V is the power supply so I assume 3.9V is alright for logic TRUE and 0 is a logic FALSE (the zero voltage pull down works correctly, by the way). Please help me understand if this is correct or wrong? 

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi enwei‌,

Can you provide any insights into this issue? You helped another user in the past with a similar issue. Based on your experience what might be wrong here?

Thank you in advance!

raghurajappa
Contributor IV

Gentle reminder :smileyhappy: Also I did make the change such that the FAB pins go to 5V (logic high) and 0V (logic low) instead of the 3.9V that I thought was weird. But I still end up with the same errors. No difference there :smileysad: 

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi raghurajappa‌,

I'm afraid we do not own the technical expertise to handle this kind of issue in this community. We tried to help you with all the information we could but obviously we reached our limits.

My suggestion to you is to fill a private ticket with your issue here: Support|NXP 

This way your problem will reach to an expert in this matter that could help you fix the connectivity issue. Please indicate that you have tried to use the standard boot loader application and it can't connect with the board.

Hope that helps!

Daniel

0 Kudos

raghurajappa
Contributor IV

Hi Daniel,

(Had been a little busy doing another task). So I tried to connect my USB-UART (COM4 port) and it seems like the interface is detected but the baud rate is wrong. Attaching the image. But that Baud Rate number looks crazy big. I did some calculations and that insane baud rate number does not even exist. I am not sure where I am going wrong. It looks like a small step forward but now with a slightly newer error. The old error with the FAB,ABS and ABS2 pin configuration being wrong still occurs (after I click OK on the baud rate error) but I am guessing this should be solved if the baud rate is correct (which also does not make complete sense because the two errors are un-related as per my understanding). 

Summary - We have a new error and it's Baud rate mis-match. 

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

raghurajappa
Contributor IV

I am getting a new error. :smileysad: 

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I had a similar issue when i used the default "CW MCU v10.7". I renamed the directory into "CW_MCU_v10.7" and the associated system variable and got rid of the error.

0 Kudos

raghurajappa
Contributor IV

I fixed this issue but the old problem still persists. :smileysad: 
pastedImage_2.png

This is with integration into Simulink but even when I try the standalone BL tool, I get the same error as before. 

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi raghurajappa‌,

This error "Index was outside of band" will persist until you will have a UART port assigned to your computer. Is it possible for you to connect the board via the SERIAL port DB4 with your computer in order to load the code via UART interface ?

Best regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos

dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi raghurajappa‌,

edenli‌ has had a similar issue. Please refer to this thread: https://community.nxp.com/message/917443?commentID=917443#comment-917693 

It looks very similar. I hope it will help!

Best regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos

raghurajappa
Contributor IV

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your reply.

In my case this time though, I checked the voltages and it is correct. Attaching the 10K resistance circuit. The pull-up and pull-down should work as intended (atleast from the hardware perspective). 

pastedImage_1.png

So the problem remains unsolved. :smileysad: 

0 Kudos