Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Matlab tool failed to connect to S32K118 board

Jump to solution
wei_w_he
Contributor IV

Dear Officer,

We installed the NXP model based tool set on Matalb and start to work with S32K118 board.

Following a simple Hello example, it seems it can't detect and can't connect with our S32K118 board via OpenSDA interface. but we confirmed there is no issue to use S32DS IDE to connect with our board with OpenSDA.

Can you advise what could be this connection issue? And Do we miss some plug in for matlab SW?

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks and best regards

He Wei

1 Solution
wei_w_he
Contributor IV

Dear Marius,

OK. Now I know the reason. Because our IT block the USB storage accement. I will request for USB unlock first, then try.

Thanks and best regards

He Wei

View solution in original post

6 Replies
wei_w_he
Contributor IV

Dear Marius,

Yes. It solved the problem.

Thanks and best regards

He Wei

mariuslucianand
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello wei.w.he@liteon.com‌,

When you press the Refresh button, the options in the dropdown menu should add the board.

pastedImage_2.png

If not, then please go to Computer, and see the mounted devices. In my case, I have the S32K116EVB mounted on the drive letter D.

pastedImage_1.png

So, let the OpenSDA Drive Name selected on Custom and type the Custom OpenSDA Drive name the letter from the drive on which the board has been mounted.

Basically what the toolbox does is after the code has been compiled it copies the .mot file to the disk specified.

Another important thing that you should consider: Please discuss with your IT support to see that you have enough rights to use external USB devices.

Hope this helps,

Marius

0 Kudos
wei_w_he
Contributor IV

Dear Marius,

OK. Now I know the reason. Because our IT block the USB storage accement. I will request for USB unlock first, then try.

Thanks and best regards

He Wei

mariuslucianand
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, this is the reason. I remembered moments ago and edited the previous response.

You can also try the RappID bootloader alternative of flashing the board. Basically you flash the bootloader once, using the S32DS on the board and select the Serial methond in Simulink. It will flash the code via UART.

Hope this helps,
Marius

0 Kudos
wei_w_he
Contributor IV

Dear Marius,

Now my Matlab example can successfully realize and connected with the S32K118 board as below

pastedImage_1.png

then I run the GPIO test example supporting to blink LED via Build and but failed. (see pic below)

pastedImage_2.png

the LED beside the USB chip is blinking (under bootloader mode?) but the blue LED is not blinking as expected.

Can you advise what could be wrong?

Tks and best regards

He Wei

0 Kudos
mariuslucianand
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It looks like you are doing the right thing.

The green led next to the OpenSDA controller is a status led, so the way it is blinking, provides a status as in the image below which is described in this User Guide https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/OPENSDAUG.pdf :

pastedImage_1.png

So if the led blinks like in the last case (2sec off then 8 rapid toggles) you should update the OpenSDA bootloader. This operation is described here HOWTO: Update OpenSDA Firmware on EVB . Basically you have to download an archive from PeMicro that contains the bootloader for S32K118's OpenSDA. Unplug the USB cable, and replug it by keeping the reset button pressed. Now the Drive will be name BOOTLOADER. So copy paste the new bootloader file from the archive to the BOOTLOADER, wait to finish then unplug and replug the USB cable.

This should solve your issue.

You can also check the LASTSTAT.TXT file from the USB drive to see the status.

Hope this helps,

Marius

0 Kudos