Do you need any tools other than MBD toolbox?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need any tools other than MBD toolbox?

hayaoki7
Contributor IV

Hello

Are there any tools other than the S32K3 MBD needed to create S32K3 programs?
1: S32K3 Standard Software
2: S32K3 Reference
Do I need to download and install all the software 1 and 2?

Best regards,Hayaoki7

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Irina_Costachescu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @hayaoki7 

MBDT represents a solution, that incorporates all the tools, libraries and sources of the NXP ecosystem necessary to generate and download code on NXP S32K3 MCUs directly from Simulink.

However, please note that for using MBDT you would need to have Matlab and Simulink (supported versions are 2020a - 2021b), and all the MathWorks add-ons that enable the code generation based on Simulink models. These are: Embedded Coder, Matlab Coder and Simulink Coder. Additionally, depending on the particularities of your design, you could add other toolboxes as well, to help you improve your productivity, like Simscape, Stateflow, etc. I would recommend you to install Stateflow in your Simulink environment, since some of the examples we deliver use it for implementing flow charts.

Now that we have covered the prerequisites from the MathWorks perspective, let me provide you some details on the NXP software that our toolbox uses. MBDT delivers the RTD (Real Time Drivers) on top of which MBDT blocks generate code for controlling MCU peripherals, and the S32 Configuration Tools, used for setting and initializing the hardware. The MBDT blocks read these configurations and display in their masks the available options that can be used for the design. MBDT also includes tools to build and download applications generated code on the target.

A supported alternative for S32 Configuration Tools is EB Tresos. If you would like to use it, you would have to install it from the S32K3 Standard Software section on the NXP webpage. Please note that this is not mandatory, since MBDT delivers a default EB Tresos configuration project that is used by the majority of our models. Moreover, S32 Configuration Tools is an already included solution which provides the same set of capabilities in terms of hardware configuration.

Therefore, to sum it up, you would only need to install the MathWorks ecosystem prerequisites, while from the NXP software point of view, if you would like to use EB Tresos for configuring the hardware, you would have to install that one. This is not a mandatory step. Other than these, MBDT usage does not imply other dependencies.

To get familiar with how to design applications using MBDT for S32K3 and how all the mentioned software is integrated, I would recommend you to watch the Webinars we have posted on our community: AUTOSAR SW on S32K3 and Deploying Deep Learning SOC algorithm on S32K3 (you can find them under the Co-hosted Webinars sections, on the main page). Even if they approach particular applications topics, both present the common embedded designs development workflow.

Hope this helps,

Irina

0 Kudos

hayaoki7
Contributor IV

Hello

The explanation from each viewpoint is easy to understand.

I understand that if you install MBDT for S32K3, S32DS is also included, so you don't need to install it additionally.

To see the tool relationships more deeply, check the Webinars in "AUTOSAR SW on S32K3 and Deploying Deep Learning SOC algorithm on S32K3 (you can find them under the Co-hosted Webinars sections, on the main page)". Check the relationship between each tool.

Is EB Tresos free to use?

Best regards、

Hayaoki7

0 Kudos

Irina_Costachescu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @hayaoki7 ,

MBDT installation does not include an S32DS IDE installation as well, these two representing different applications development environments. MBDT's capabilities allow to develop and download applications on S32K3 MCUs from Simulink, with no need of writing additional C code.

However, please note that MBDT provides integration with the S32DS environment, in the sense that Simulink models generated code can be exported as an IDE project and imported in S32DS for future development, integration with other existing C code, etc. If you are interested into such integration, I left here one of our community threads addressing this feature.

As for EB Tresos, I would recommend you to contact NXP representatives that could help you with more details on how a license for this tool can be obtained since I am not in a position where I can provide complete information on this process.

Regards,
Irina

0 Kudos

hayaoki7
Contributor IV

Hello

hayaoki7_2-1649840247383.png

Red arrow: Installed considering the cooperation with S32DS
Blue arrow: Included in MBDT
Green arrow: FreeMaster is in the MBDT folder, but it's a driver and should be installed.
Orange arrow: Does IPC need to be installed?
Black arrow: No installation required

S32DS may not be necessary, but it can be used when exporting a project from MBDT.
Settings such as config are installed by MBDT.
I understand that, but it is correct

Best regards,

Hayaoki7

0 Kudos