Use wireshark to see traffic on network created by Freescale's CDC/USB exampe? How?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use wireshark to see traffic on network created by Freescale's CDC/USB exampe? How?

rickstuart
Contributor V

Hi,

I would like to see the network traffic on the network created on a Win 7 box when connected to a Freescale Tower using Freescale's MQX and Freescales (fixed) CDC example code.  I would like to do this with Wireshark.  So far, Whireshark shows no activity.  Has anyone else been able to do this?

-thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies

matthewkendall
Contributor V

I'm not sure exactly how your network is configured, but a common problem in this situation is that with modern switched Ethernet networks, computers only see broadcast packets and packets addressed directly to them, the switch will not send them copies of packets addressed to third parties. So if you just install Wireshark on a computer and connect it to the same network as two hosts you wish to monitor, you are not going to see much if any of their traffic. The ways round this problem are:

• Run Wireshark on one of the two hosts involved in the conversation you wish to monitor.
  • Run Wireshark on a third computer and connect this to the same network segment as one of the host to be monitored via a hub (not a switch). With the monitoring computer and one of the monitored hosts both connected to the same hub (and from there to a switch port), the monitoring computer will see copies of all packets to/from the monitored host.
  • Run Wireshark on a third computer and connect this to a port on a managed switch that has been configured to echo all traffic to this port. Most consumer and small-business switches are unmanaged.

rickstuart
Contributor V

Apparently I have overlooked the Windows creed that rebooting is required after everything / anything.  After everything was power cycled, Wireshark was able to "see" the traffic between the Win7 box and the Freescale Tower running a fixed version of the Freescale CDC/USB Ethernet over USB example.  Now that I think of it, this post is being done using this Ethernet over USB connection.

-thanks