MQX 4.2 interrupt UART causing lock-up

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MQX 4.2 interrupt UART causing lock-up

ARQuattr
Contributor IV

I have a board with an MCF52254 MCU running MQX 4.2.  There is a UART port exposed for an optional peripheral and it was running as a polled serial port with no issues except it would sometimes miss characters so it was changed to an interrupt-based UART.  That works fine as long as something is connected to the port, however when disconnected the application sometimes locks up.  I found that even touching the RX pin can lead the device to lock up sometimes.

To confirm, I switched back to polling and I can't reproduce the lock up.  It only happens when configured for interrupts.  If I connect a terminal to it, it doesn't reproduce, so I feel the 'floating' RX pin is picking up noise leading to the issue.  I was able to narrow the lock-ups down to whenever there is some output produced on the same UART port, but again only when nothing is connected to it.  (I assume there is some crosstalk from the TX output back onto the RX input when terminated.)  It only happens rarely, maybe 1 in every ~50 times it's operated, unless I touch the pin which makes it happen somewhat more often. 

If I add a pull-up on the RX pin I can't reproduce it, but I don't think I can turn on a internal pull-up on the pin when it's in UART mode (not GPIO mode).  Am I wrong about that?  I don't have the option to modify the hardware.

I assumed there was some UART interrupt that is not being serviced, but I'm not sure what.  I tried installing the unexpected and exception ISRs, but it doesn't look like they were triggered when the lock-up occurred.  (Perhaps I did something wrong there though as I haven't used those before.)

Any thoughts on what else I could try or check?

Thanks

Angelo

0 Kudos
1 Reply

danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi  Angelo :

I would suggest you try to configure PDSRx Pin strength register control bits to high driver strength.

Please refer to the reference manual:

15.6.6.2 Pin Drive Strength Register (PDSR)

PDSRx pin strength register control bits.

1 Pin is configured for high drive strength (10mA)

0 Pin is configured for low drive strength (2mA)

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos