Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K64 + MQX4.1 + 3G module + wifi module

Jump to solution
kcg
Contributor I

Hello everyone

We are developing a device including LAN, 3G and Wifi. We have launched a LAN communication with the MQX stack and this is working correctly. Now we are working with 3G through UC20 module of Quectel. We send the at commands via UART interface to the maximum speed (921600), but we think that this speed is not enough and we think that USB interface is best. On the other hands to wifi module, we are looking various modules, but we are not sure that is best. Has someone worked with modules 3G and wifi? Can someone advise the best way to work? Has someone had a bad experience working with these modules and MQX?

Best regards

Kevin Carcel

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately my experiences with 3G modems are limited. I agree that USB should be fastest solution, however sometimes it could be just serial port over USB. Therefore even USB 2.0 doesn’t need to lead to higher baud rate (I didn’t read full UC20 documentation).

Theoretically SPI could provide faster interface than UART port (not available for Quectel UC20).

Wifi modules use typically SPI interface.

For some of wifi modules MQX patches was created by third party designers.

Qualcomm/Atheros TWR-WIFI-AR4100 for MQX 4.0.2

GainSpan TWR-WIFI-GS1011M1 and TWR-WIFI-GS1500M for MQX 3.7

Redpine Signals TWR-WIFI-RS2101 for MQX 3.7

These patches you can download from Freescale MQX download pages.

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
RadekS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately my experiences with 3G modems are limited. I agree that USB should be fastest solution, however sometimes it could be just serial port over USB. Therefore even USB 2.0 doesn’t need to lead to higher baud rate (I didn’t read full UC20 documentation).

Theoretically SPI could provide faster interface than UART port (not available for Quectel UC20).

Wifi modules use typically SPI interface.

For some of wifi modules MQX patches was created by third party designers.

Qualcomm/Atheros TWR-WIFI-AR4100 for MQX 4.0.2

GainSpan TWR-WIFI-GS1011M1 and TWR-WIFI-GS1500M for MQX 3.7

Redpine Signals TWR-WIFI-RS2101 for MQX 3.7

These patches you can download from Freescale MQX download pages.

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
RadekS

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
kcg
Contributor I

Hello RadekS

Thank you for your explation. I saw that the usb interface to AT command simulates a serial port, therefore I only can work with serial port speeds. I agree that the best is de SPI interface. The wifi modules that you say, is there a driver for frdmk64f MQX?

Best regards,

Kevin Carcel

0 Kudos
RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Since connection to wifi modules is realized trough SPI, it should not be so difficult to adapt above mentioned patches to FRDM-K64 board.

However, there is also at least one wifi board directly for FRDM platform.

Please look at GT202 Wi-Fi module:

https://parts.arrow.com/item/detail/shenzhen-longsys-electronics-co-ltd/gt202kits

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-102702

I hope it helps you.