cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clear SPI transmit register

michaelschwager
Contributor III

K60, MQX 4.1.

I’m writing a low-profile, lightweight SPI slave driver which I hope to eventually hook up to DMA.

At this point I’ve got roughly the same functionality as the Processor Expert driver, but I’m facing the same issue I had which initiated me wanting to write my own driver.

The SPI peripheral has a FIFO and a shift register.  The FIFO can be 4 deep, or 1 deep, but in any case, there is a FIFO and a shift register.

For transmit, once you write a value to the FIFO, it is immediately copied to the shift register, and as far as I know there is no way to clear the shift register other than to shift out the data with a master-initiated transaction.

But that’s exactly what I need to do to enable re-trying an aborted SPI transaction.  Flushing the FIFO with the appropriate bit (MCR->CLR_TXF) works fine to clear the FIFO, but it doesn’t clear out the previous value in the shift register.

I’ve tried disabling/enabling and halting/unhalting the thing, and I’ve also tried disabling the SCGC clock to the entire peripheral, but other than actually shifting out the bits with the master, I’m at a loss as to how to clear the shift register.

Any clues?

If there is no way to do this then I’ll put an extra step in the master to do a 1-byte transaction to clear it out when it knows it’s doing a retry.

Thanks

2 Replies

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If I remember correctly in old version of MQX SPI driver (now legacy SPI) we used short switching to slave mode and back as workaround for put CS line back to default state. It effectively resets SPI module, however it has also side effect where clock signals generates unwanted pulse (but with CS line up).

You can try this approach in your case.

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
RadekS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

michaelschwager
Contributor III

Interesting. Actually I’m in slave mode now. Can I switch to master and then back to slave to clear the shift register?

thanks

0 Kudos