Does Freescale's MQX RTCS support switch like features?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Freescale's MQX RTCS support switch like features?

Jump to solution
rickstuart
Contributor V

Hi,

I was wondering if the Freescale version of the MQX RTCS TCPIP stack supported switch like features?  Specifically, support for more than 1 port?

I am going to add a 2nd Ethernet port to my MQX project and will be starting in on creating code to govern sending packets between these 2 ports.  However, before I go down that road of "re-inventing-the-wheel(switch)", I wanted to find out if RTCS already had the depth of coding necessary to handle 2 (or more) ports.

(Please let me know if this question is not clear.  I figured the simpler that question the easier to answer it.)

-thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
dereksnell
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rick,

In the current release of MQX v4.1.1, the only family supported with more than one Ethernet port is the Vybrid family<http://www.freescale.com/vybrid>. There were older architectures with multiple Ethernet ports supported in older releases of MQX like the MPC5125. But their MQX support has been deprecated, and they are no longer included in the newer MQX releases.

I would recommend you refer to the Vybrid code and examples in MQX v4.1.1 over the MPC5125. The MPC5125 is an older architecture, and toolchain support is out-dated today.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rick,

Please check the below application note as reference. (section 4 "Enabling Both Ethernet Ports on the TWR-MPC5125-KIT")

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4117.pdf

Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rickstuart
Contributor V

Hi Sol,

That was a good read.  But I am not using that hardware.  (The Tower K70 board I have does not have Ethernet.  Only the Serial Tower board does.)  Further, I don't think the project has or needs the shell interface.  So I can not pump in all those ipconfig commands.

What I (think I) need is a good read about how to set up a two port MQX based switch (for the Ethernet RJ45 port and the USB/CDC port (both of these ports are found on the Tower Serial broad)) using the Application Program Interfaces provided by the Freescale MQX Operating System.

The alternative (AFAIK) is to man-handle the code and embedded some sort of switch behavior into the USB/CDC and Ethernet call-back-functions such that messages get sent to the correct port (i.e. RJ45 or USB/CDC).  I'm hoping MQX RTCS can do this for me - if I can figure out how to set it up.

-thanks

0 Kudos
soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rick,

Unfortunately we don't have an example like you need.

Please check the below thread: Ethernet over USB in MQX?

Have a great day,
Sol

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
rickstuart
Contributor V

Hi Sol,

I would like to look at the code that creates 2 Ethernet ports from the document you mentioned above.  But I think the instructions are older than the version of MQX (4.1.1) that I am using.  I tried to follow these directions but the directories do not exist:

2. Open CodeWarrior for MobileGT v9.2

3. C:\Program Files\Freescale\Freescale MQX 3.x\rtcs\examples\shell\cwmpc92\shell_twrmpc5125.mcp

4. Build and execute the project using the methods described in the MPC5125 MQX RTOS Lab document.

Are there other more current boards that have 2 Ethernet ports?  Maybe I already have an example sitting here in some MQX directory.  And I just need a nudge as to where to look.

-thanks

0 Kudos
dereksnell
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rick,

In the current release of MQX v4.1.1, the only family supported with more than one Ethernet port is the Vybrid family<http://www.freescale.com/vybrid>. There were older architectures with multiple Ethernet ports supported in older releases of MQX like the MPC5125. But their MQX support has been deprecated, and they are no longer included in the newer MQX releases.

I would recommend you refer to the Vybrid code and examples in MQX v4.1.1 over the MPC5125. The MPC5125 is an older architecture, and toolchain support is out-dated today.

Thanks

0 Kudos