cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

random noise configuration for MPC5748G

huqiang
Contributor IV

Hello,

Was it possbile to configure random noise on MPC5748G?

It was said that on c55 devices customer can configure random noise during secure boot and encryption, so that it could increase the overall power-noise to against the side channel attacks.

So I want to know:

1. Is MPC5748G one of the c55 devices?

2. Was it possbile to configure random noise on MPC5748G? and how?

Best regards,

Hu

0 Kudos
4 Replies

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

1. yes MPC5748G is c55 device.

2. Could you please explain what have you in mind? "Configure random noise"?

Peter

0 Kudos

huqiang
Contributor IV

Hello petervlna‌,

1.png

See the picture above, configuration for random noise to agaisnt side channel attacks is what I want.

This picture is screen captured from https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-331487  .

Do you know any document or information about how to do this?

Best regards,

Hu

0 Kudos

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Hu,

This is described in reference manual:

HSM: If the HSM is enabled and the "wait for HSM" flag is present, then the boot core waits for the HSM to become ready. It optionally executes a random instruction sequence to create random noise on the instruction bus while waiting.

pastedImage_2.png

57.4.5 Optionally wait for HSM
If the HSM is enabled (SSCM_UOPS[HSE] = 1), the boot core will need to wait for the HSM to become ready (if SSCM_UOPS[HSB = 1]). The core then polls the HSM until a ready flag is set. Both SSCM registers can be set by a DCF record. The boot core polls the HSM to HOST FLAGS register (HSM_HSM2HTF) until its least significant bit is set. The boot core also services the watchdog while polling the HSM_HSM2HTF register. This is just in case the HSM is not ready in 16 ms, servicing the watchdog prevents the system going to reset.

To set the HSM boot configuration you have to refer to MPC5748G security manual which is not public so I cannot guide you here further as the community is public.

Peter

0 Kudos

huqiang
Contributor IV

Hi Peter,

I think you have solved my problem.

Thanks your help.

Hu

0 Kudos