cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is SIUL?

Jump to solution
woodypark
Contributor II

Hi, I'm working with MPC5643L and have a difficulty to find out what SIUL(system integration unit lite) exactly means. could you guys describe in few sentences about SIUL and why you named it like SIUL?

Labels (1)
1 Solution
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

It comes from old Motorola time:

http://www.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/ref_manual/SIURM.pdf

It was not only about pads but also about external bus interface, chip selects, reset control and so on... So, the name makes sense.

"Lite" means that it is reduced version of SIU.

Lukas

View solution in original post

5 Replies
woodypark
Contributor II

Thanks for your answer Lukas,

In the reference manual above, it said "System Interface Unit" and the performance looks far different from today's SIUL.

So you mean like that the term,

1. "System Integration Unit(SIU)" comes from "System Interface Unit" whose performances are totally different and

2. "System Integration Unit Lite(SIUL)" comes from "System Integration Unit(SIU)" because it is reduced version of it?

like <System Interface Unit --> System Integration Unit --> System Integration Unit Lite>, right?

I'm sorry to keep asking. I'm preparing Seminar in my company about MPC5643L's SIUL which we use so I really need to make sure of it.

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

you can check the evolution path from old MPC500 (MPC509), through MPC5xx (MPC555, MPC565...) where USIU was used, to MPC55xx (SIU), MPC56xx (SIU or SIUL) to MPC57xx (SIUL2). It is still changing to meet today's needs.

Yes, SIUL is reduced version of SIU. You can compare the modules on MPC5643L (SIUL) and on MPC5634M (SIU), for example.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

the best description can be found here:

pastedImage_0.png

I can imagine different name than SIUL - I would use words like "pin" or "pad" in the name to make it more clear. But this name (SIU or SIUL) is used for years...

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos
woodypark
Contributor II

One more sily question haha..

then who made the term, "SIUL"?

is this General term or did Freescale name this one?

and why did they put "Lite" end of the term?

It sounds weird to me.

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

It comes from old Motorola time:

http://www.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/ref_manual/SIURM.pdf

It was not only about pads but also about external bus interface, chip selects, reset control and so on... So, the name makes sense.

"Lite" means that it is reduced version of SIU.

Lukas