S32DS stuck at 98% after which MPC5748g DEVKIT stopped working (Reset pin low; Red indication).

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32DS stuck at 98% after which MPC5748g DEVKIT stopped working (Reset pin low; Red indication).

Jump to solution
bhavesh
Contributor II
I am using MPC5748G-DEVKIT with a simple 'blinky' program that will flash an LED on the DEVKIT. It is using the default linker script etc. During one of the flash operations the board reached what I read-up as being a reset-escalation condition (Red LED always ON). More reading on this suggested that I could recover from this with a PEmicro debug probe (which I do not have) or a sequence of steps (from one of the other answers here DEVKIT-MPC5748G is in reset state ). 
I tried the recovery sequence which used OpenSDA debug through S32DS. 
These are the steps: 
  1. Power through external 12 V supply
  2. Connect USB
  3. Remove the power jumper
  4. Keep the jumper just above the external supply side of header
  5. Press the debug button in eclipse
  6. A pop-up for power cycling the controller will occur
  7. Click Ok and connect the jumper exactly at same instance
This actually seemed to recover the board (the Red LED indication went away). I was then also able to flash my blinky code again and continue debug.
However, during one of these flash operations the S32DS stalled at 98%. After waiting for a long time I closed the studio application and restarted the PC. At this point the DEVKIT again reached reset-escalation state (Red LED always ON). After this point I've not been able to recover even with the steps above. 
----
Question 1: What could have caused my DEVKIT to reach this state?
Question 2: How can I recover from this state? (while I don't have the PEmicro cable at hand the discussions on that cable imply it is not guaranteed to solve the problem).
Question 3: What should I NOT-DO to avoid these problems during development and debug using the DEVKIT?
----
This is the log seen at 98% stall on S32DS.
## Start of log text.
(Connection from "127.0.0.1" via 127.0.0.1
Copyright 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems,Inc.
Command Line :C:\NXP\S32DS_Power_v2017.R1\eclipse\plugins\com.pemicro.debug.gdbjtag.ppc_1.7.2.201709281658\win32\pegdbserver_power_console -device=MPC5748G -startserver -singlesession -serverport=7224 -gdbmiport=6224 -interface=OPENSDA -speed=5000 -port=Ì

CMD>RE

Initializing.
MPC574xC Device detected. 
Target has been RESET and is active.

CMD>CM C:\NXP\S32DS_Power_v2017.R1\eclipse\plugins\com.pemicro.debug.gdbjtag.ppc_1.7.2.201709281658\win32\gdi\P&E\nxp_mpc5748g_1x32x1520k_cflash.pcp
Initializing.
MPC574xC Device detected. 
Initialized.
;version 1.05, 06/26/2017, Copyright P&E Microcomputer Systems, www.pemicro.com [5748G_6080k]
;device NXP, MPC5748G, 1x32x1520k, desc=CFlash
;begin_cs device=$00F90000, length=$005F0000, ram=$40000000
Loading programming algorithm ... 
WARNING - Selected .PCP file has been modified. CRC16 = $5A63 
Done.

CMD>VC
Verifying object file CRC-16 to device ranges ... 
   block 00FA0000-00FA0003 ... 
Ok. 
   block 00FA0010-00FA0013 ... 
Ok. 
   block 01000000-01000129 ... )
## End of log data -- this is where the Studio stalled.
1 Solution
martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

please see the following thread where my colleague Jiri Kral describes, how to resolve this problem.

https://community.nxp.com/thread/494855 

Please let me know, if this resolved your problem.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

5 Replies
martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

please see the following thread where my colleague Jiri Kral describes, how to resolve this problem.

https://community.nxp.com/thread/494855 

Please let me know, if this resolved your problem.

Regards,

Martin

bhavesh
Contributor II

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your reply. I tried what you suggested below, and it seems to recover both of my DEVKITs.

jiri.kral@nxp.com‌ Thank you for solving the problem !

Thank you b55689 for your help !

0 Kudos
petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

First of all, reset escalation is in 99% cases triggered by unserved SWT.

There is by default 15resets set in reset escalation. Your watchdog (SWT) is by default 20ms. After 20ms it must be either serviced, configured or disabled. If not, then after 300ms (15x 20ms) you will get reset escalation (permanent reset).

To see if your board is in reset escalation or it is in permanent reset at all you have to:

Take a scope and measure reset pin (resetb) after power on reset.

If the reset toggles you are in reset escalation.

If the reset is permanent right after power on reset you are in censored mode, secure or you have an ECC fault in HSM flash block (which is considered as side attack - bricked micro)

Share with us the power up sequence measurement, so we can guide you further.

regards,

Peter

bhavesh
Contributor II

Hi Peter,
My problem was solved multiple times for both of my MPC5748G-DEVKITs with the steps given in Unable to start debug session on MPC5748G board. download stops at 98%. Now the problem has resurfaced and is not solvable by the steps given in the above link anymore. As directed by you I have taken the Scope and measured the reset pin, below is the image of the MCU_RST pin after power on. And the red LED is solid ON continuously.

As mentioned by you this looks to be the second case, where the pin is permanently high. Please help me solve the issue.

Also I want to know that what action can result lead to this situation, so that I can avoid hitting this problem in future.

Any help will be appreciated.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
bhavesh
Contributor II

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your reply. As i do not have access to a DSO i was not able to confirm the reset pin status. 

I tried what Martin has suggested below, and it recovered my DEVKIT.

Thank you for your help !

0 Kudos