cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ethernet connection with MPC5604EKIT

sebastianr
Contributor II

Hi all,

following the "MPC5604EQSG Quick Start Guide.pdf" [1] to set up a video streaming connection between the board and a Linux host via ethernet, I followed the 5 steps on page 8. But after pressing the reset switch there is no live video displayed in VLC. Additionally the Activity LED will not flicker.

While investigating further there seems to be no logical ethernet connection as the board cannot be pinged via 'ping 192.168.1.2' from a Terminal. (The host IP adress was manually set to 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Best regards,

Sebastian

[1] http://cache.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/MPC5604EQSG.pdf 

Labels (1)
16 Replies

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Sebastian,

I forwarded your question to our application team and I am waiting for their response. I will let you know as soon as possible.

Regards,

Martin

sebastianr
Contributor II

Hello Martin,

is there any feedback on this? It is quite urgent to get the board running.

Thanks.

Best,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sebestian,

could you please check your VLC settings according to the following figure?

pastedImage_1.png

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

sebastianr
Contributor II

Hi Martin,

below are my (identical) VLC settings.

BTW I use Ubuntu 16.04. LTS with VLC version 2.2.2

My ethernet config is as follows (I assumed an network mask of 255.255.255.0)

Network config:

$ ifconfig
enx000fc9119c29 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0f:c9:11:9c:29  
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Screenshot from 2016-11-01 09-33-34.png

Best,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

sebastianr
Contributor II

Any news on this, or does anybody else is using the board with or without problems?

I still can't get it to operation. Is there any other support contact at NXP?

Best,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sebastian,

when you run Wireshark on your Linux station, do you receive any data from the board?

And what about your firewall settings? Have you enabled the required UDP port?

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

sebastianr
Contributor II

Hi Martin,

thanks for getting back to me.

Also with Wireshark there is no indication on any data transferred on the ethernet IF.

The Ubuntu firewall "ufw" is disabled. The UDP port 1234 is not blocked.

Could that indicate a defect board?

Best,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sebastian,

have you fitted jumper JP1 on your board?

pastedImage_1.png

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

sebastianr
Contributor II

Hi Martin,

indeed, it is fitted.

Best,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sebastian,

I am trying to find you more information from application team. 

Which UTP cable you use, straight through or crossover? You should use crossover. Also please check, if the cable works correct (I know it is stupid, but I need to check all options).

Do you have any debug probe? It is possible that it will be necessary to look into micro's registers.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

sebastianr
Contributor II

Hi Martin,

I tried straight and crossover cables with CAT.5, 5e and 6 standard. Any of them work correctly otherwise but not with the board. There is absolutely no ethernet connection, no blinking led on the board or any other indication that the board is working at all. I even tested with different computers..

I doubt that there is any problem on the host side (cable + computer). There is no debug probe available right now.

Best,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sebastian,

without debug probe is nearly impossible to find out, where is the problem. Please try to get some debug probe (PE micro, Seger, Lauterbach, etc.) and then we can continue with debugging the issue.

It is possible, that the program loaded in microcontroller is corrupted or even there is no program loaded in microcontroller (I do not this hardware system with camera).

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

sebastianr
Contributor II

Hi Martin,

my assumption was that the board is working out of the box as stated in the Quick Start Guide Section 2, page 7.

As I need the board for BroadR-Reach evaluation, would a replacement be possible? I guess at NXP someone can have a quicker debug session..

Best,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Sebastian,

you are correct, from the quick start guide I also understood, that the board should work without any loading the code. So I think the best way how to solve your problem will be following process:

1) If you bought the product through some distributor, please contact him back with the issue description and questions about next steps.

2) If you bought the product directly from NXP, please look at the following web page and submit a tool warranty request. They should be able to provide you better information about next steps. Unfortunately I am not able to help you anymore with your issue. It seems, there is some HW problem or incorrectly loaded program, but I am not able to investigate without debugger.

Returns and Warranty Information|NXP 

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

sebastianr
Contributor II

Hi Martin,

we investigated further and are now in contact with our distributor.

Here are our latest findings:

Unfortunately, we were not able to get it running. Some of the LEDs are on, but no activity/flickering can be seen, even after reset. We checked all the supply voltages on the ICs, which are as expected. On U2 (SPC5604EEF1MLH) we also checked the external crystal (X1) with an oscilloscope and could not see any 25 MHz reference signal. Hence, the chip does not boot up and does not supply the other ICs with the needed clock signals. We assume that there is an unrepairable hardware default.

Best,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sebastian,

I am still in touch with MPC5604E application engineer. I wrote him few minutes ago, but he does not have any information for me yet. Please be patient, I will write you back as soon as I have any news for you.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos