cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC5748G - verify result of offline BIST

tomislavrac
Contributor II

Hi,

I'm trying to check BIST result on MPC5748G. As far as I understand (from manual) STCU configuration is pre-programmed by NXP to the MPC5748G UTEST flash block. This enables Logic BIST (LBIST) and Memory BIST (MBIST) execution at device startup events. So if BIST is enabled by default I just need to check STCU registers to verify BIST result. State of STCU registers is attached. Captured just before I read STCU registers to check result 

All registers have value 0 that indicate LBIST and MBIST are not finished successfully. Maybe not started at all?

Also UTEST part of memory is captured in the same moment and attached here.

Can you please point me what I'm doing wrong? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
10 Replies

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

An update.

I was looking closer into manuals of both and the EB820 can be used only as guidance.

As the SPC5748G has different memory partitions and I cant see in SPC5746C any LBIST registers.

I guess this will be a bit hard to program on your own.

I will try to get BIST configuration from application team as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Here are the factory DCF you have to program to your device.

Make sure you understand how DCF is programmed before doing so as this memory is OTP.

Best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos

tomislavrac
Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for help Peter.

We managed to do something. DCF data you provided are programed to the device but it seems that still something is not right. It looks like LBIST 0 is executed successfully but the other two are failed. Is the watchdog reason for that or it's something else?  I attached registers capture and the content of the UTEST part of memory.

Can you please take a look on that and try to explain what is happening with BIST now? If you need any other information please let me know. 

Thank you!

Best regards,

Tomislav

0 Kudos

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

From ERR_STAT I can see that you have invalid pointer error.

Please make sure you have correctly configure BIST pointers and all the following is met.

petervlna_0-1642135810376.png

Your screenshot also show STCU_CFG register with0 content. This is also not correct.

I am not sure when you took those screenshots so Its hard to judge.

Best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos

tomislavrac
Contributor II

Hello Peter,

We still not managed to start BIST.

Why we don't have a devices where STCU configuration is pre-programmed by NXP? Do we have devices from some old series or what? We are wasting a lot of time on what was supposed to be trivial and done by the NXP. 

Also I found this in manual:

"77.7.7 Definition: Default offline BIST sequence
A default offline built-in self-test (BIST) sequence is an offline BIST sequence whose
configuration NXP has programmed into the chip’s Device Configuration Format (DCF)
records that are stored in the chip’s UTEST flash memory. To determine whether this
chip has a default offline BIST sequence, see the chip-specific STCU2 information.
If this chip has a default offline BIST sequence and you choose to use it, or if it’s the only
one supported by NXP, there is no need to create additional DCF records for the offline
BIST sequence."

Where we can find this chip-specific STCU2 information?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Tomislav

0 Kudos

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

As the manual explains:

A default offline built-in self-test (BIST) sequence is an offline BIST sequence whose
configuration NXP has programmed into the chip’s Device Configuration Format (DCF)
records that are stored in the chip’s UTEST flash memory. To determine whether this
chip has a default offline BIST sequence, see the chip-specific STCU2 information.

so if you have default configuration the BIST will run by default after reset phase 1.

From your description your test is not running, so I expect you do not have NXP data in UTEST for BIST.

Where we can find this chip-specific STCU2 information?

77.1 STCU configuration - this is that chapter. But I honestly do not see any info about if you have BIST in chip or not. It just say that there are 2 possibilities.

To determine it simply look at UTEST memory. Pass me here the screenshot of your memory starting at 0x400300 and I can tell you.

We are wasting a lot of time on what was supposed to be trivial and done by the NXP.

I fully understand this, and as I say it is not a simple task. I have already posted for you the factory DCF records which ease the task a lot. But I have no idea what you did with programming and how. Since you didnt share with me your register content nor memory content.

I am curious why you didnt reach out FAE /sales assigned to your company if you struggle so long with it.

On the other hand, I can test the factory DCFs if I find a chip which do not have BIST preprogrammed. Also I will only use NXP Evaluation board, and if you have custom board, you could need to hand-tune the tests.

Let me know what fits best for you,

Best regards,

Peter

Edit: now I see you UTEST in the first post. I can definitely say your sample does not have BIST from NXP factory.

0 Kudos

tomislavrac
Contributor II

Hello Peter!

Thanks for the fast reply.

I fully understand this, and as I say it is not a simple task. I have already posted for you the factory DCF records which ease the task a lot. But I have no idea what you did with programming and how. Since you didnt share with me your register content nor memory content.

I already sent you content of UTEST memory block and STCU2 registers after we wrote DCF records to the flash. I'm sending all to you again.

Please take a look on that. 

I am curious why you didnt reach out FAE /sales assigned to your company if you struggle so long with it.

We will try to flash DCF records again on another board cause the current one is not available anymore. Maybe we did something wrong. We will contact FAE /sales if there is still no progress after that

Thank you!

Best regards,

Tomislav

0 Kudos

tomislavrac
Contributor II

Hi,

Thank you for the fast reply @petervlna 

So I need to flash UTEST DCF records to the flash memory? Where I can find the proper configuration (default configuration that was supposed to be stored in memory)? And where exactly need to be stored? At which address? Is there some kind of document that describe this as for mpc5744p (attached)?

Thank you!

0 Kudos

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Where I can find the proper configuration (default configuration that was supposed to be stored in memory)?

Not for all versions on chip. As you can see from reference manual note I have posted. Yours has programmed bypass as I can see. I guess all new chips have the BIST pre-programmed. There was AN for programming BIST before.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/engineering-bulletin/EB820.pdf

Is there some kind of document that describe this as for mpc5744p (attached)?

This one is written by me. So I do not know if the SPC5748G is as strait as mine. I see only engineering bulletin for SPC5746C ( which is 3MB version of SPC5748G) so it should fit.

But in any case, check if the number of LBIST and MBIST partitions match according to reference manual.

Best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

From your screenshot looks that Offline BIST is not programmed on your device by NXP factory.

petervlna_0-1639042431513.png

And this is basically what I see from your screenshot: 7F means null pointer = no BIST execution.

petervlna_1-1639042469701.png

Best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos