Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC5748G Newbie question

Jump to solution
bdn
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm totaly new to Qorivva MPC5748G. I want to start with the MPC5748G Eval Kit, the S32 Design Studio and a P&E micro debugger. At first I want to get started with a bare metal application.

I started with MPC5748GRM.pdf (Reference Manual) and AN4830.pdf (App Note: Qorivva Recipes for MPC574xG).

Now I have some questions:

1. Are there any other, more general, Tutorials or Getting Started Guides to get familiar with the architecture?

2. Is there any kind of code generator or anything like that to configure e.g. gpio or clocks or any other periphery?

3. Where do I get the correct array indeces from or where is it explained? e.g.

SIUL2.IMCR[202].B.SSS = 2; /* LIN2_RX : connected to pad PC9 */

or

SIUL2.IMCR[961-512].R = 1U; /* TX_CLK */

Thanks in advance

Bernhard

Labels (1)
1 Solution
alexvinchev
Contributor V

Hi,

I have about year and 3-4 months experience with MPC5748G.

If you never worked with e200 cores, I'll suggest to study core manual as well, especially exceptions (IVOR 1, 5 & 6 in particular, these ones you'll hit easily). Be warned, not everything inside core RM is available in MPC5748G, check core RM vs core related part in the MPC5748G RM.

Then make yourself very clear which MCU revision you are using - 1N81M or 0N65H. There are many differences in peripheral addresses and functionality available. Be aware that 0N65H is not described in the RM since rev.2 (no, you cannot have this revision, only last one is available for download).

Other option to support your effort is community here. There are great professionals, supporting our endless efforts to fight this beast.

You can take a look also at http://cache.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/MPC5748GEVBUG.pdf?fsrch=1&sr=5&pageNum=1

Regarding your questions in particular:

1. I don't think so, when Freescale and NXP merged many documents, previously available disappear from NXP version of website. Now one by one they are published back again (twice or triple as size, because someone (very "smart" by the way) decided to place NXP logo on EACH single page). In comparison, original document contains Freescale logo on first and last page only... So, no one knows how much time it will take to have everything back in place.

2. I think you can give a try to  RAppID. If you have chance to have contact with NXP/Freescale FAE, use it!. You most probably will need it many times, especially if you are not willing to give a little fortune to Vector, EB or someone else for AUTOSAR stack or OS/drivers.

3. Use Excel file, attached INSIDE the RM. Yep, I've faced "PDF attachment" feature when I started to work with Freescale and never before...

Last remark, if you insist, you could go with S32 & P&E Micro debugger, but if you want to live long and joyful life, consider changing at least the last one with real debugger, Lauterbach for example. Your life will be much easier and happier, I'm quite sure about this.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bdn
Contributor III

Thank you very much for the enlighting answers!

I will have a look at the mentioned docs and apps and mark this thread as solved for now.

Regards,

Bernhard

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bernhard,

Aleksandar very well summarized all important information. I just add one source of examples. You can look at this community example list:

MPC5 software example list

Btw, thank you alexvinchev  for your correct, precise and sometimes funny answers (end of the previous post ;-)).

Regards,

Martin

alexvinchev
Contributor V

Hi,

I have about year and 3-4 months experience with MPC5748G.

If you never worked with e200 cores, I'll suggest to study core manual as well, especially exceptions (IVOR 1, 5 & 6 in particular, these ones you'll hit easily). Be warned, not everything inside core RM is available in MPC5748G, check core RM vs core related part in the MPC5748G RM.

Then make yourself very clear which MCU revision you are using - 1N81M or 0N65H. There are many differences in peripheral addresses and functionality available. Be aware that 0N65H is not described in the RM since rev.2 (no, you cannot have this revision, only last one is available for download).

Other option to support your effort is community here. There are great professionals, supporting our endless efforts to fight this beast.

You can take a look also at http://cache.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/MPC5748GEVBUG.pdf?fsrch=1&sr=5&pageNum=1

Regarding your questions in particular:

1. I don't think so, when Freescale and NXP merged many documents, previously available disappear from NXP version of website. Now one by one they are published back again (twice or triple as size, because someone (very "smart" by the way) decided to place NXP logo on EACH single page). In comparison, original document contains Freescale logo on first and last page only... So, no one knows how much time it will take to have everything back in place.

2. I think you can give a try to  RAppID. If you have chance to have contact with NXP/Freescale FAE, use it!. You most probably will need it many times, especially if you are not willing to give a little fortune to Vector, EB or someone else for AUTOSAR stack or OS/drivers.

3. Use Excel file, attached INSIDE the RM. Yep, I've faced "PDF attachment" feature when I started to work with Freescale and never before...

Last remark, if you insist, you could go with S32 & P&E Micro debugger, but if you want to live long and joyful life, consider changing at least the last one with real debugger, Lauterbach for example. Your life will be much easier and happier, I'm quite sure about this.