cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC5748G JTAG Connection Failure

Jump to solution
nextsteve
Contributor III

Hi, I have a new custom MPC5748G board and am not able to connect to it with my PE Micro Multilink JTAG tool. It looks like TMS is going high to put the part into test mode but then the PEMICRO connection manager is reporting that it can't communicate with the target processor.

Here are some scope shots of the JTAG signals as labeled when I attempt to connect to the MPC. I verified POR is not being asserted at any point in the sequence.

Any suggestions on getting the MPC to connect to JTAG?

Thanks,

Steve

169569_169569.pngscope_11_CPUBd_JTAGConnect_Overall.png169570_169570.pngscope_12_CPUBd_JTAGConn_Zoom1.png

Labels (1)
1 Solution
martinkovar
Contributor II

Hello Steve,

sorry once again for my previous post. I realized it is nonsense after your answer. So could you please provide me the schematic of your board and also the version of the PEMicro tool you use for connection?

You use the newest cut of MPC5748G and it is possible the tool does not support it. Could you please also try another option and download S32 Design Studio for Power, install update 1 and try to connect with this tool? This can confirm or exclude hardware issue.

http://www.nxp.com/assets/downloads/data/en/ide-debug-compile-build-tools/S32DS-PA.html 

NEW S32 Design Studio for Power v1.1 - Update 1 available 

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

which IDE you use for debugging? If you use S32 Design Studio version 1.0, there is known issue. You have to open debug configuration and set 250ms Delay after Reset.

pastedImage_1.png

If you use different IDE, please write me back, which IDE it is. Could you please also write me, which PE Micro debug probe you use?

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
nextsteve
Contributor III

Hi Martin I am using the PE Micro Multilink Universal Tool and just attempting to connect with PROGPPCNEXUS Programmer utility. Screenshot attached with options selected.. 

Thanks,

Steve 

PEmicroConnMgrShot.jpg

0 Kudos
martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

could you please send me the picture of your custom board and also part number?

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
nextsteve
Contributor III

Part number is PPC5748GSAMMN6. There is another processor elsewhere on the board connected to the RAM and flash but this is the section of the board applicable to the MPC. 

NEV_MPCsect.jpg

0 Kudos
martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

is your board the following one?

DEVKIT Evaluation Board for MPC574xG|NXP 

If yes, there could be some hardware issue. Please create internal case for NXP support (write my name to description) and I will help you there on Monday.

How to submit a new question for NXP Support 

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
nextsteve
Contributor III

Hi Martin I followed along with the MPC5748GEVB. I'll go ahead and file the support ticket as I continue to debug on my end. Thanks!

0 Kudos
martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

just one point which could help me a lot now. Could you please measure the voltage on TMS pin (it is pin PH10 directly on microprocessor)? If you measure voltage about 1.2V on PH10 pin (or at least less than 3V), the 74LVC1G08 gate definitely does not work correct (Most probably incorrect assembly - rotated in incorrect way).

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
nextsteve
Contributor III

I don't understand the comment about the 74LVC1G08 gate. My design does not use any AND gates and you can see on the scope shots I attached earlier, the JTAG signal+reset voltages go to 3.3V.

One deviation I made from the EVB design was that I wired RESET on pin L1 directly to the reset pin on my JTAG debugger. I wonder if that could be causing my issue.

0 Kudos
martinkovar
Contributor II

Hello Steve,

sorry once again for my previous post. I realized it is nonsense after your answer. So could you please provide me the schematic of your board and also the version of the PEMicro tool you use for connection?

You use the newest cut of MPC5748G and it is possible the tool does not support it. Could you please also try another option and download S32 Design Studio for Power, install update 1 and try to connect with this tool? This can confirm or exclude hardware issue.

http://www.nxp.com/assets/downloads/data/en/ide-debug-compile-build-tools/S32DS-PA.html 

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
nextsteve
Contributor III

Hi Martin you are correct it turns out I was using an old version of the PE Micro Flash Programmer utility. I needed to use PROGPPCNEXUS Programmer v6.9 released 11-Oct which added support for MPC5748G cut 3. Now it is working and we got an LED blinking.

Thanks for your help!

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I am sorry for my misunderstanding. I thought you use NXP mpc5748g DEVKIT. I will consult your problem with my colleague who is expert for JTAG.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Steve,

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos