Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC5744P Clock Monitor using FCCU

Jump to solution
sureshkurukundi
Contributor III

Hi,
I am trying to enable the clock monitor feature in the MPC5744P controller which monitors the external clock(XOSC->40MHz) using internal clock(IROSC-16MHz) as the reference.

First of all I want to clarify few things regarding the clock monitor like:-

• If the Clock monitor feature is enabled by setting the CMU.CSR.RCDIV and CMU.CSR.CME, the CMU.ISR.OLRI bit should be set if XOSC<IOSC (if RCDIV is 0) right? is there any additional configuration required? whether the OLRI bit is set only if clock is not available in the beginning? what if clock is there in the beginning and later there is some issue in the XOSC clock and it is going unstable after the initialization process? Still the OLRI bit is set in this case?
  • I have tried configuring the FCCU for the above fault(fccu fault id 26), but if we configure short or long reset for the above fault, does the controller reset? If yes, then how to detect it as we would have lost XOSC clock and even watchdog timer(WDT) or WDT toggle would need peripheral clock for its operation which in turn comes from XOSC?
  • How to switch to internal clock(IROSC) immediately when the XOSC is lost? can u please brief the steps to switch to IROSC here(pseudocode would be much appreciated)?
  • Even if the clock is switched to IROSC when XOSC is lost, how is it prescaled? because IROSC is 16MHz and XOSC is 40MHz, and how is it matched so that few peripherals would still continue to work?
  • I have referred the following application note on Clock Monitor and handling the crystal failure form NXP (link here:- https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4880.pdf) , and also tried the pseudocode here, but the this is not detecting the loss of XOSC and the OLRI bit is not set when I checked in the watch window.

Can you please check the above things and clarify @petervlna ? Thank you in advance

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

It makes no sense to detect if crystal is removed when it is not turned on in ME.

The device simply do not use it so it is not affecting safety of the device.

In the moment you turn it on you will know it is not working, and the clock switch will not pass, so the device will operate with its previous clock.

best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

If the Clock monitor feature is enabled by setting the CMU.CSR.RCDIV and CMU.CSR.CME, the CMU.ISR.OLRI bit should be set if XOSC<IOSC (if RCDIV is 0) right?

Yes, this is correct in case:

petervlna_0-1615556765082.png

petervlna_1-1615557061119.png

is there any additional configuration required?

See above

whether the OLRI bit is set only if clock is not available in the beginning?

What do you mean? Could you elaborate closer?

what if clock is there in the beginning and later there is some issue in the XOSC clock and it is going unstable after the initialization process? Still the OLRI bit is set in this case?

XOSC clock you mean? Then CMU if enabled and set will trigger OLR line. As picture above represents.

I have tried configuring the FCCU for the above fault(fccu fault id 26), but if we configure short or long reset for the above fault, does the controller reset? If yes, then how to detect it as we would have lost XOSC clock and even watchdog timer(WDT) or WDT toggle would need peripheral clock for its operation which in turn comes from XOSC?

The controller will take configured action in FCCU. FCCU and all safety related features are clock from safety clock (IRC).

How to switch to internal clock(IROSC) immediately when the XOSC is lost? can u please brief the steps to switch to IROSC here(pseudocode would be much appreciated)?

If your device is clocked from XOSC, and you loose clock, you need to take reset trough FCCU and after reset you will boot from IRC clock and analyze the fault sources.

• Even if the clock is switched to IROSC when XOSC is lost, how is it prescaled? because IROSC is 16MHz and XOSC is 40MHz, and how is it matched so that few peripherals would still continue to work?

[Peter] - Safety peripherals are clocked from IRC. So the device will take appropriate action. Which in case of loss of clock is reset.

Best regards,
Peter

0 Kudos
sureshkurukundi
Contributor III

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the reply. Have some more clarifications as listed below:-

• What do you mean by "CLKMN0_RMT" is ON as signalled by MC_ME? Should we set some bit in the MC_ME register? Where does that CLKMN0_RMT_ACTIVE come from?
  • "whether the OLRI bit is set only if clock is not available in the beginning?"---> I mean whether the OLRI bit is set or not when the XOSC clock is stable during the initialization process and after that the XOSC clock is going unstable and becoming less than IROSC?
  • Does the clock automatically switch from XOSC to IROSC if short or long functional reset is configured in the FCCU module(fault id 26) when the OLRI bit is set? Any additional configurations are required for clock switching other than FCCU?
  • Does this pseudocode in the application note https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4880.pdf works with those configurations for loss of clock detection and reaction? Any additional configurations required?

Thank you in advance

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

What do you mean by "CLKMN0_RMT" is ON as signalled by MC_ME? Should we set some bit in the MC_ME register? Where does that CLKMN0_RMT_ACTIVE come from?

petervlna_0-1615802577912.png

So the clock must be enabled in Mode entry mode in the mode where you doing measurement. (XOSC)

"whether the OLRI bit is set only if clock is not available in the beginning?"---> I mean whether the OLRI bit is set or not when the XOSC clock is stable during the initialization process and after that the XOSC clock is going unstable and becoming less than IROSC?

No, it is set when you enable CMU, as the schematic represents.

Does the clock automatically switch from XOSC to IROSC if short or long functional reset is configured in the FCCU module(fault id 26) when the OLRI bit is set? Any additional configurations are required for clock switching other than FCCU?

Yes, the default clock after reset is IRC clock. As it is considered as safety clock, so you can do safety analyzes on your SW.

Does this pseudocode in the application note https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4880.pdf works with those configurations for loss of clock detection and reaction? Any additional configurations required?

I am not author of the AN, but the code looks fine to me. for any safety critical application parts I recommend to not rely on example codes, but rather on your own code.

Best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
sureshkurukundi
Contributor III

Hello Peter,

Thank you so much for the reply and your inputs @petervlna . I was able to test the CMU by removing the XOSC crystal from the board and by providing external frequency from the signal generator which is less than the IROSC frequency and observed that OLRI bit is set and the board was getting reset.

I have one question regarding the crystal failure:

What if the crystal is removed from the board and there is no XOSC ON signal from the MC_ME reg and how to detect the crystal failure condition in this case? Is there any way to detect this using CMU/FCCU or any other feature in MPC?

Thank you in advance

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

It makes no sense to detect if crystal is removed when it is not turned on in ME.

The device simply do not use it so it is not affecting safety of the device.

In the moment you turn it on you will know it is not working, and the clock switch will not pass, so the device will operate with its previous clock.

best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
sureshkurukundi
Contributor III

Okay, got it. Thank you so much for the support @petervlna 

0 Kudos
sureshkurukundi
Contributor III

Please clarify the above topics asap as this feature is crucial for our project. Thank you

0 Kudos